Texas Sausage and Hot Links

frognot

somebody shut me the fark up.

Batch Image
Batch Image
Name or Nickame
Charles
Dave (dwfisk) posted this in the upcoming Texas Bash thread.

Question: I'm doing the SC Brethren Bash the week after Texas nd I'm thinking some authentic Texas beef hot links/sausages would be a real treat back east. Anybody hve a suggestion.

This is a great opportunity to share some regional favorites with our Brethren attending the Carolina Bash. Most of us are in the DFW area but Paul is coming up from Temple so maybe he has access to some Central Texas goodies.

I'm a fan of Fischer's Meat Market in Muenster, TX and Hotch mentioned a run with Dave to Hirsch's in Plano (and also Earl Campbell hot links).

Any other favorites?

This is also an invitation for folks to join us at the Texas bash the 22nd (info here: http://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/showthread.php?t=240397) and/or the Carolina Bash the 29th (info here: http://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/showthread.php?t=240941)

Sure wish I could hop in his RV and join Dave and Diann at the Carolina Bash.

we can get most of the elgin stuff at HEB as well as a lot of others. let me know what you want to try and i'll grab some. been wondering what i was gonna cook since i probably will not be there at the butt-crack of dawn. looks like i'm cooking a lot of sausage. i am ok with that as long as i don't pick up a weird nick-name like "the sausage whisperer" or something worse.:doh:

let me know what you want to try

At the risk of setting off a firestorm, let me just say I HAVE NO FARKIN IDEA! What is authentic Texas sausage? beef, pork, a mix; what kind of spices? Back here in the SE sausage is basic fentil pork sausage, spicey or not, smoked or not. I only have limited Texas experience, I've had Earl Campbell's, Salt Lick, Franklin's and Kreuz's and enjoyed all; don't know what y'all call "authentic" but that's what I want :becky:

Last edited:
At the risk of setting off a firestorm, let me just say I HAVE NO FARKIN IDEA! What is authentic Texas sausage? beef, pork, a mix; what kind of spices? Back here in the SE sausage is basic fentil pork sausage, spicey or not, smoked or not. I only have limited Texas experience, I've had Earl Campbell's, Salt Lick, Franklin's and Kreuz's and enjoyed all; don't know what y'all call "authentic" but that's what I want :becky:

The jalapeño beef and cheddar from Hirsch's are great. Just ask them and they will "steer" you in the right direction.

Thanks guys! We sho would enjoy some at the Carolina Bash!

Thanks for posting the link frognot!

A little secret between the wife and me. She actually brought up going to the Texas Bash. She wanted to use our tax returns to do a down payment on a travel trailer, but sadly after doing our taxes we both had to pay the irs. Hopefully next year we can make it. Alot of sights to see in the Southeast. Y'all have fun! Hope the weather is great!

Slovacek out of Snook is good and available at most Sam's in Texas. Opa's from Fredericksburg is probably my favorite. Meyer's Elgin is another solid choice. Southside Market has a huge following but it's not at the top of my personal list. From

Dave, here's an article about Texas sausage.

https://tmbbq.com/history-of-texas-german-sausage/

Thanks Charles, that was a great read. My take-a-way is to make sure I get some 85/15 beef/pork garlic & black pepper as the base, then experiment with jalapeno, cheddar or other flavorings. I can see myself getting a variety to test. Oh yea Jorge, wish I could get down to Elgin just for the history!

Last edited:
I wish I could still get some of the original Texas Red Hots like I had back in my youth. Those were a burst of flavor! We would put them in the oven at a low setting of 185-200 for all day. Best damn red hots ever!

Thank y'all for all of the suggestions. Not sure I can schedule a run to Muenster but can definitely make it to Denton and get some Fischer's sausage there.

Thanks guys! We sho would enjoy some at the Carolina Bash!

Thanks for posting the link frognot!

A little secret between the wife and me. She actually brought up going to the Texas Bash. She wanted to use our tax returns to do a down payment on a travel trailer, but sadly after doing our taxes we both had to pay the irs. Hopefully next year we can make it. Alot of sights to see in the Southeast. Y'all have fun! Hope the weather is great!

Hope y'all can join us at a future bash. Have never been to the Carolinas and it's high on our travel list. Maybe we can meet up at one of y'all's bashes someday.

Just picked up a package of those Kiolbassa Beef jalapeño at Costco...can't wait to try them.

Been eying the Opas for a while after Poobah posted about them last fall....just can't get over the shipping fees. One of these days I'll just say wtf and pull the trigger.

I really love the sausage at City Market in Luling, Tx.....I will make the almost 2 hr trip from Houston out there and back solely to fill my cooler with those links. For me I really enjoy the coarse grind of the sausage

Back