THE BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS

Welcome to The BBQ Brethren Community. Register a free account today to become a member and see all our content. Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Beef I assume?

Here is one I tried on brisket. I am a novice, so tread carefully!

1/3 cup kosher salt * * * * * * * * * *
1/2 cup black pepper
1tbsp onion powder
1tbsp garlic powder
2 tsp chipotle powder
1 tbsp paprika
1tsp mustard
1/2 tsp cumin

I don't know what your definition of "a lot of sugar" is, but this one is 2 parts sugar to 8 parts non-sugar:

Rib Rub

3 tbsp paprika

2 tbsp kosher salt

2 tbsp brown sugar

1 tbsp garlic powder

1 tbsp dried mustard

1 tbsp ginger

You could probably cut the sugar in half if you are so inclined.

I used use a similar rub to what "snowocean" has posted for beef. I have found that a good high quality commercially prepared rub can be outstanding and can save me a lot of time ordering, mixing and making the rubs. There are thousands of rubs available on the net if you wish to experiment.

Now I use OakRidge Santa Maria Steak rub on beef ribs. However a little sugar goes great with pork ribs. OakRidge Dominator Rib Rub is great on pork ribs..

I sure do Salt & Black Pepper or if ya want to get all fancy with it Season salt or Slap Ya Momma a touch of Cayenne , Black pepper and a pinch of comino

We prefer spicy over sweet. I found this rib rub on a Southern cooking site and we like it. It makes enough for a full rack of spares, more than enough for SLC's and BB's:

• 2 tablespoons paprika
• 1 teaspoon freshly cracked black pepper
• 1 tablespoon brown sugar
• 1 teaspoon kosher salt
• 1/2 teaspoon celery seed
• 2 teaspoons of Cajun seasoning (like Slap Ya Mama), or to taste
• 1/4 teaspoon garlic powder
• 1/2 teaspoon dry mustard
• 1/2 teaspoon cumin

http://www.deepsouthdish.com/2010/03/southern-style-dry-rub-pork-ribs.html#axzz2vQH31wwA

Salt, pepper, granulated garlic and some smoked paprika (to give em' a purdy mahogany color) is all I use. Any more seasoning than that begins to disrupt the natural flavor of the pork IMO.:-D

I use a creole salt (like Tony's Creole), black pepper, some mixture of red peppers including some chipotle and a little cayenne, smoked and non-smoked paprika, probably ends up tasting a lot like a more complex peppers version of oldbill's above.

Back