THE BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS

Welcome to The BBQ Brethren Community. Register a free account today to become a member and see all our content. Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Pyle's BBQ

Babbling Farker
I need some help. I have a used Good-One T-60 that I need to try out. I have not used this type of smoker before and was wondering if I should fire it up with or without cooking anything? I really don't want to ruin good meat, but then again how will I know what it will do?

Try a forgiving meat. Like a butt. It can handle temp swings and high heat. Then you can have some pulled pork when done.

I'm not absolutely convinced that I am using the best method for firing up my Model 42, but here goes...

Basically, I treat the Good One as a giant WSM. I load the firebox with either charcoal of lump (lump preferred, but decent lump is hard to find around here), leaving a hole in the middle. I open the top vents 6 turns and open the firebox vents two or three turns. Then I dump one or two chimneys of lit charcoal or lump into the whole in the middle and do a modified minion burn. I leave the firebox lid open until the fire is really going, then I close the firebox lid and open the damper all the way. Once the temp is in the right range, I close the damper part way and start to close the firebox vents to regulate the temp.

If I am doing a higher temp cook (for turkey or chicken, or is I am in a hurry :-D ), I will put the lump in the firebox without the hole in the middle and spread the lit lump across the whole pile to get more burning at a time. I can easily maintain 300+ this way.

Either way, I add wood (usually chunks since that's what I have on hand, but small splits work fine, too) as required for flavor.

Try a search of the BBQ Forum archives. There are a few guys there who cook on model 60's, including Rick Salmon. They have some good tips.

Good luck!

Oh yeah... Don't do a test burn with it empty. Cook something! A butt is great. Or some fatties or some ABTs. That way you have something to enjoy besides the experience! :-D

Back