Test run on "2nd generation" VDS

Just curious as to why you call it a VDS? What did I miss?

I thought quite a few guys have tried the diffuser/water pan idea. I know I have but still don't see the need for it.

Nice lookin' drum though.

Wanted to see if i could even out grate temps and it will double as a grease catcher for the meats i don't want dripping into the coals.

I've built so many drums and they just ain't ugly anymore. :wink:

Interesting results.

6 lbs of charcoal vaporized in 7 hrs???

I moved the outside grate temp probe around and found it 20* hotter under the exhaust, but no more than 10* the rest of the edge.

Need to put some meat on it with a clay saucer for more accurate info, but at least its seasoned! :cool:

I guess I am odd, I have not done a meat that I don't like the drippins' going onto the coals.

That turkey cannon looks interesting Norco.

Thanks for the explanation. At first I thought maybe you were trying to do something like a WSM to allow for more cooking racks. Anyone ever tried anything like that?

Interesting results.
I moved the outside grate temp probe around and found it 20* hotter under the exhaust, but no more than 10* the rest of the edge.

Sounds like that is why the BDS design has what is it 8 holes evenly spaced around the outer part of the lid. Keeps the temps more even across the entire grate area.

I can't do that type of exhuast because I need to vent the smoke out of my little covered Q shack since I do more smokin' and grillin' in the winter rain.

So if anyone has any ideas on how to vent the exhaust out like I need with holes around the outside of the lid please let me know.

Attachments

• DSC03174.jpg
    DSC03174.jpg
    59.6 KB · Views: 76
She looks sweet!!!!

Maybe you could avoid the heat problem by taking a clue from the egg and putting the exaust in the center of the lid... I know it would require a change to the dome but my thinking is that it should pull the heat evenly from all sides rather than just one.....

So if anyone has any ideas on how to vent the exhaust out like I need with holes around the outside of the lid please let me know.
I hear the marbles..... How about either a false top inside with the 8 holes and a large center hole in top of lid with a header collector, or just the large center hole with collector.

555-30004.jpg

That is pretty sweet. Another nice job, Bubba. :eusa_clap
Does it come in candy apple red? How much for that ball valve handle option? :p

Sounds like that is why the BDS design has what is it 8 holes evenly spaced around the outer part of the lid. Keeps the temps more even across the entire grate area.

Barbarian,

Depending on your metal working capabilities you could create an additional lid that could just set inside the drum lid, could even be made of a donor drum section. The "inner" lid could have the 8 holes and the cover could have a much larger "stack" that could be vented outside your shack. Or you could make a very unique manifold for the 8 vent holes into one larger exhaust pipe. You could just gasket each hole and have a single central attachment point.

Mike

Back