Temp Question for Chuckies to make pulled beef??

I just added some more coals and wrapped the chuckies in foil pans. Drum temp has spiked up to 290* and chuckie temps are still in the 160's. I did the probe test and some parts felt like butter but most of the other parts still felt firm almost dried out. Do you think that they got dried out...or do you think they still have more to go and I shouldn't worry about it? My brother in-law is here so he can keep an eye on things while I"m out. Thoughts?

I wouldn't worry. You're most likely encountering gristle/fat that has not rendered out. In the pans with foil you should accumulate some good juices too. Let them go til they're 195.

I wouldn't worry. You're most likely encountering gristle/fat that has not rendered out. In the pans with foil you should accumulate some good juices too. Let them go til they're 195.

Awesome thanks. I'm worried about over cooking them and having to server people dried out beef. I'll pull them off around 195* thanks.

So far this sounds just like a chuck cook. It is not the fat, it is the collagen that runs through the chuck, loads of it. Get it rendered out at 195 to 200 and you have some great meat. Pull it at 185 to 190 and you need to slice it, but, it will be as good as any pot roast you have had.

So far this sounds just like a chuck cook. It is not the fat, it is the collagen that runs through the chuck, loads of it. Get it rendered out at 195 to 200 and you have some great meat. Pull it at 185 to 190 and you need to slice it, but, it will be as good as any pot roast you have had.
Collagen. THAT was the word I couldn't think of.

Temps are up to 189* so I think we're finally moving in the right direction. I'm going to pull them off around 195-200* and let them rest for a bit before pulling. Can't wait to taste it.

Patrick

Ok they are up to 205* and I checked fir tenderness. There are still some firm spots...should I leave them on or take them off now sine the temp will probably keep rising once off?

Ok they are up to 205* and I checked fir tenderness. There are still some firm spots...should I leave them on or take them off now sine the temp will probably keep rising once off?

If it is tender enough except in just a few spots them take them off and let them set for 20 minutes tented.

If there is still a good portion that isn't butter then leave them on for another 20-30 minutes

There were only spots here and there that were still firm. I had to run out so I pulled them off and kept them foiled. I'll check the
when I get home so they will have had rested about 45-60 minutes. I'm going to pull them when I get home and take more pics.

Ok so sorry for the long suspense throughout the day. Thanks to everyone who shared their comments and helped me out along the way. Here is the finished product after 7 hours on the drum un-foiled...and another 2 hours foiled. I'm not sure if you can see from the pics but the lighter and larger chuckies in the one pan were a little under cooked I think. They didn't pull like the other ones and still seemed to have a lot of fat deposits throughout. I ended up chopping these as apposed to pulling and they still tasted good so I'm not worried. Just know for next time to let them go longer. Like everyone says...they're done when they're done. I think judging off of feel is definitely the way to go and not worry so much about time and temps.

Anyways enough babling and on to the pron!!

DSC04132.jpg

DSC04133.jpg

DSC04134.jpg

DSC04135.jpg

DSC04136.jpg

DSC04137.jpg

DSC04138.jpg

DSC04139.jpg

DSC04140.jpg

DSC04141.jpg

DSC04142.jpg

DSC04144.jpg

DSC04145.jpg

DSC04146.jpg

DSC04147.jpg

DSC04148.jpg

DSC04149.jpg

DSC04150.jpg

DSC04151.jpg

Gee...thanks for posting that pron for me to look at at 10:30 at night after a dinner of cold pizza, cheese sticks and cookie cake!!!

Seriously, I enjoyed following your chuck roast excursion and the results look awesome. Now tell me how it tasted!!!!

Thanks everyone. It tasted great. I was very please as this was my first time doing chuck roasts. The real test will be how people like it Saturday. Tomorrow I'll be doing 2 pork butts.

Back