THE BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS

Welcome to The BBQ Brethren Community. Register a free account today to become a member and see all our content. Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

nickmv

Full Fledged Farker
Looking or some recommendations on a temp controller for cpmpetitive cooking.

I've had a HeaterMeter controller for years now that's served me well from WSMs to cabinets to large offsets, but the HeaterMeter is falling apart and I just took delivery of a brand new insulated cabinet.

I'm considering starting over and getting a new controller, am trying to figure out a few things.

1. Is there any commercial option that supports multiple brands of probes? That's the #1 thing that the HM has going for it -- I can use ET72, ET732, Thermowork TX-1001's, etc.

2. What's the most recommended controller out there, and does it have WiFi?

3. Weatherproofing is a must, this will be used at competitions.

4. What's max # of probes even if not best option?

Thanks!

Last edited:
Myself, I would just go with the Thermowork Smoke option. The new one has 4 probes and can be hooked up to a 'fan' if you want to. Personally, on my WSMs and other options, the Smoke does everything I need it to.

Most insulated cabinets are very stable when you get them dialed in where you want them so, I never really considered one of the more advanced air flow option monitors and fans.

The Fireboard with the fan cable and a Pit Viper fan controls the temp in my Humphrey's Battle Box very well. The Fireboard has six inputs, one of which needs to be the pit temp for fan control. It uses virtually all probes with the proper size jack. The Fireboard site has information on themocouple specs.

Fireboard sells a weatherproof enclosure. WiFi works very well for temp monitoring and pit control. The Wifil hookup has been flawless since I've had the Fireboard, about a year. I have and earlier version of the Thermoworks Smoke and its WiFi is unreliable and frustrating.

I am a big fan of the BBQ GURU stuff. I have 1 CyberQ and 2 DigiQ models.
The CyberQ I can monitor and adjust pit temps and get alerts on meat temps on my cell phone.

Had a Fireboard on my Masterbuilt 560 since February. Excellent device, reasonably waterproof with the optional case, but the regular device has a membrane protecting the buttons, JFI. 6 probe jacks, one used for ambient temp of the cooker, with 5 more for meat probes.

I ended up buying the Ultra Q originally. However I am now in the process of getting it returned.

Pretty much every last aspect of the device is broken in some way. Temp readings off and it varies across the range, the basic bluetooth and wifi connections hardy work, it raises 5-12F just from powering on and warming up the electronics, it reads 10F high if you have the LED ring on.

The only thing that does function is plugging it into a wall outlet, it powers on.

Anyhoo, I ordered a Fireboard 2 and probe pack. Gonna keep my Pit Viper fan and see how she does with the FB2!

I have cabinet and Thermoworks Signal/Billows I got at a great price during the holidays last year. It is okay but I don't think it would last long doing comps. Sure wish they still made Stokers. That was a heavy duty controller.

Sent from my Pixel 3a XL using Tapatalk

Man I was torn between Smoke X and the Fireboard, but 2 things sold me:

1. Fireboard has algorithms to deal with approach "velocity". On an insulated cabinet smoker this is essential if you want to dial in your temperature correctly without hours of overshoot correction or burdensome activity where you dial in a lower temp then let it overshoot to your true expected setpoint.

2. Smoke X doesnt have open-lid detection logic. Cabinets lose tons of heat when they're opened but they recover in a few mins and during those few mins, the fan on a Smoke X would be in high gear and would certainly overshoot by prob 10-15F if I had to guess. On my WSM this would be no biggie, on an insulated smoker it's a big deal.

I love my Thermoworks equipment, absolutely LOVE it. My HeaterMeter uses the TX series probes, I've got a Thermapen v1 + ThermoPop + RT series white pen. But I'm staying optimistic for Fireboard 2.

Last edited:
I have two Flame Boss 300's and two Flame Boss 500's. They run my cabinets perfectly. Reason I originally went with Flame Boss was they tested their algorithm on the type of smoker that I had. Never had a problem with any of them. I pulled the cable that attaches to the fan loose and they sent me a replacement free of charge (it was my fault) when I called to order a new one.

Back