Team Names

I think having all the team members in Chairman Mao jackets would be great at the awards ceremony.

Mao%2Bimmitation.jpg

Ocean County Pig Assassins - We started as a group of friends from all over Ocean County NJ. Pig Assassins came from one of the father in laws who tried our food. I guess he didn't like it!!. Fark him it paying off today.

Jacked UP BBQ - We came up with this name because most of us are fat bastards and we get this way by eating BBQ. So we don't get jacked up on drugs, steroids, or anything else. We get jacked up on BBQ

SnoutsFeathersandHorns BBQ Team is the 3rd try at a name. It started with a lame tribute to being a firefighter when I did Hillsborough a few years ago. I could not cook by committee so I started my own with a buddy. Then came Double Deckers since I talked him into it on our decks over many many many beers(he works for a beer distributer). Over more beers we were throwing names out and went from funny to serious to ridiculas when we settled on Snouts Feathers and Horns.

Oh yeah this is Fireman Bill from Keansburg

The very first contest I cooked I was a one man team. Used the name LWNNA (Lights Weights Need Not Apply) Did not go over to well.

Next couple of contest, including the 2003 Royal was Big Belly BBQ, had team mates by that time and that name was shut down...Any anyone that knows me knows that name really does not fit anyway!

So about 2004 I think...came up with...

BBTBBanner-1.jpg

Kind of a double entendre.

Cant get my team mates to get behind the one I really wanna use...

Wrong Hole BBQ!

Smokin' Cracker BBQ Team

CRACKER

There are three main theories about how the word developed. But none of the three conclusively show how and why the Cracker became applied to Floridians.
Theory One: Cracker comes from a Celtic word meaning braggart or loudmouth. Shakespeare used this sense of the word in King John. But the theory doesn't’t explain why the word in this sense would be applied to the usually taciturn folk of the Florida backwoods.
Theory Two: The word comes from the practice of "corncracking" or grinding dried corn for use as grits and meal, as in the lyrics of the folk song Blue Tailed Fly, "Jimmy crack corn." When used in this sense, a Cracker is somebody who can’t afford any other food. But this theory doesn't’t answer the question of how the word got applied almost exclusively to folks in rural areas of south Georgia and Florida. And, by the 1800s, the name "Cracker" wasn’t used to describe only impoverished settlers.
Theory three: The name comes from the sound of whips used to drive cattle and oxen. Florida cattlemen cracked whips to flush their stock out of the palmetto scrub while settlers used whips to spur on oxen that pulled their carts and wagons. Cracker has been used in this sense since the early 1800s. This is the most popular theory today. But it doesn’t explain why people were being called Crackers for centuries before Florida cattlemen began working in the scrub lands.
Different areas of the state embrace different theories. For example, the corncracker theory prevails in the Panhandle and along the Georgia border. In those areas, Cracker is considered an insult.
Meanwhile, the whip cracker theory is popular in Central Florida. Cattle raisers in particular are proud to identify themselves as Crackers.

Thus I am from Central Florida
But a variation of the braggart theory developed during the Civil Rights movement of the late 1950s and 60s. Cracker began to be associated with opinionated, ignorant whites who could easily be incited to violence. In many urban areas throughout the state, "Cracker " still means "bigot."
"It’s a very interesting thing," "There are us people who are proud of the term. Then there are people who are very offended by the term."

They can kiss my arss!!!

Crackers live in rural areas. Historically, they have been self-sufficient, growing their own vegetables, hunting or raising their own meat and building their own houses.
But the houses they built during their heyday weren’t necessarily the large, clapboard homes with the wraparound porches that now are called "cracker houses."
A real Cracker house most likely would have been a small log cabin. Often, the houses looked like two cabins, connected by a roofed-over porch called a dog trot.

A GUIDE TO CRACKERESE
Here are words and phrases used by Crackers over the centuries.
Catchdogs - Cracker cattle-herding dogs trained to literally "catch" a cow and hold its ear or nose in its teeth until a cowman arrived.
Chittlins - Cracker version of chitterlings, or hog innards, cleaned and cooked.
Conchs - Key West Crackers.
Cooter - A freshwater soft-shell turtle eaten by Crackers.
Corn Pone - A "dressed-up" hoecake, made from the standard cornmeal, but with milk instead of water used in the batter. Cone pone differs from cornbread in that the former is fried and the latter is baked.
Cracklin - Fried hog fat used for food, sometimes mixed into meal to make cracklin cornbread.
Croker sack - Burlap gunny sack sometimes used for clothing.
Curlew - Pink spoonbills hunted for food and for their plumes.
Drag - A rawhide whip used by Crackers for driving cattle or wagon oxen.
Fatback - Called fatback because this is exactly where it comes from - off the back of a hog. It was cut in small squares and put in cooking pots to flavor beans and other vegetables. Sometimes, it was roasted until it became crunchy and eaten like popcorn for a snack. Lard was made by boiling the fatback and straining it through fine cloth.
Fetch - To get, as in to "fetch" some water.
Grits - A principal Cracker staple made from dried and coarsely ground corn, used in place of potatoes, never as a cereal. Hominy grits, not to be confused with hominy corn, is a Northern label for a coarser grain of ground corn.
Hoecake - Primitive bread cake made of cornmeal, salt and water and cooked in an iron griddle or skillet. It is said that these cakes were once baked on a hoe held over an open fire.
Hominy - Whole grains of white corn treated with lye and boiled for food.
Literd - A hot fire started with fat pine.
Low-bush lightning - Cracker term for moonshine-liquor made and smuggled during Prohibition.
Marshtackie - A small horse with a narrow chest, prized by cowmen for their smooth ride, durability and quick maneuverability. Descendants of the horses brought to Florida by the Spanish, they are adapted to the Florida wilderness.
Pilau - Any dish of meat and rice cooked together, like a chicken pilau. Pronounced "per-loo" by Crackers.
Piney-woods rooter - Wild hog and a regular part of the Cracker diet.
Poultices - Medicinal salves made with materials such as soap, fat meat, chewing tobacco, chopped onion, scraped Irish potato and wet baking soda.
Pull - To take a hard drink from a liquor jug.
Rot gut - Bad whiskey.
Sawmill chicken - Salt pork.
Scrub chicken - Gopher tortoise, once a Cracker delicacy, now illegal to take.
Scrub cows - Cracker cattle bred to withstand the tough conditions of the Florida range. They are descendants of original Spanish cattle introduced to Florida in 1521.
Swamp cabbage - The tender heart of Sabal palm, cut and boiled like cabbage.
Store-boughten - Cracker materials which could only be purchased from a store.
Truck garden - A plot garden which was grown to produce a surplus of vegetables for sale to local grocery stores, etc.
Varmit - The Cracker version of varmint, or any small animal, especially rodents.

We wanted something small enough to go on a license plate we went from

In To Barbeque

to just

N2Que

PS we are looking at revamp of our logo back then we was going to just go by n2q with a lang... lang never happened LOL

My brother and I used to play on the same dart team. After the regular games we would stick around to take other players money:wink::twisted:. Since our names are Tim and Tom we would hold our spot on the board as T N T. Considering our love of all things hard rock and heavy metal particularly AC/DC , TNT Dynamite BBQ came quite quickly.

Attachments

• TNT_FF03.jpg
    TNT_FF03.jpg
    70.6 KB · Views: 62
Grillin' Fools - i grill / smoke all year long. theres no way i could wait until spring to have all of that goodness. i even do the thanksgiving turkey on a weber kettle w/ rotisserie attachment.
i have a nice big covered porch that is on the east side of the house (weather comes in from the west) so the weather main element i have to deal with is temp and a little wind (but only when it's really windy) rain and snow are no problem (oh what a dream to have it so for comps)
so some people think I'm nuts (or a fool):-D when i tell them I'm going to be putting the flames to something when we are expecting a snow Storm and 10 -15 degree weather.

Oh It'z BBQ...a play on our last name. Owitz. The Pig in the logo is from hom ealone when he screams. Looks like and OHHHHHHHH! Tried a lot with yak fishing and boating and water and even the catskills, but this seemed to make sens e as no one ever knows how to pronounce our name but have no problem with moscowitz or horowitz, etc.

I had been trying to come up with a name for several months. Where it came from I really do not know but The Pork Jesters came out of my mouth and I thought it was good enough.

Od

Back