THE BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS

Welcome to The BBQ Brethren Community. Register a free account today to become a member and see all our content. Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

RemoGaggi

Full Fledged Farker
Name or Nickame
RemoGaggi
The inner need to get something new is on the attack again. I should know better, but I am asking for help here.

We don't entertain much anymore, kids are out of the house, and my wife is basically an non-factor with meats. So I'm not cooking any large quantities often.

I have an old Mak 1-Star (#69) that I reserve for the overnight brisket cooks and I just like to use it for something small. I've been using a GMG Davy Crocket for the last several years, but it's become old and leaky (grease) and I can't seem to get it sealed back up - very annoying. I've definitely gotten my money's worth out of the GMG DC. It still works, but I think if I get the PK, I'm selling it.

On the charcoal side, I've a Red Box Smoker that I've been messing around with. The love/hate relationship with that continues. I recently sold my 26" Weber with SnS as it was just too big for my needs and I literally didn't use it once in 2020. I do have a little Lodge Sportsman which I use for skewers and a steak or two, but it's really too small (and no lid) for anything else.

So, since I sold my 26" Weber, I've been kicking around the idea of the PK Original, which I can add a few bucks and get a PK Original. I can't justify getting a PK360 or even the PKTX (although that would be nice). The PK Original seems like it would be a good fit, but am I just chasing my tail here or should I just resist the urge and hope this "want" of a new grill pass? Can anyone help a brother out?

I bought the PKTX about a year and a half ago and I still believe it was worth every penny. I don't use mine for smoking, but there are a bunch of people that love it for that. Mine gets used to grill small meals multiple nights per week. 1/2 to 3/4 of a chimney takes about 15-20 minutes to get going and then I'm off and cooking. The thing is a tank and it doesn't require hardly any maintenance.

It will last a lifetime and I believe they hold their value fairly well. I don't regret pulling that trigger at all.

Curious as to why you use the Davy Crockett more than the Mak 1. Been thinking I would really like the Mak 1 but it is a bit pricey.

Curious as to why you use the Davy Crockett more than the Mak 1. Been thinking I would really like the Mak 1 but it is a bit pricey.

To me, using the Mak to do a few beef ribs, a rack of baby backs, or a 1/2 St. Louis always seemed like driving the Escalade to the market to pick up a a loaf of bread when I could just as easily ride my bike. Plus, I keep my cookers in a shed and I need to wheel them out a ways to where I can plug them in. It's not too far, but I have the DC on a small table with wheels and it's a lot easier to drag around than the tank. The DC doesn't cook as well as the MAK, but for small jobs, which is usually the case, it fit the need well enough - until it started leaking like a sieve that I can't seem to stop. Right now, I'm pretty sure I'm going to sell my DC.

Talk you out of the Original PK...oh that's going to be hard to do...something about the simplicity and look of it has kept calling my name too. I understand your situation.

just for the record.

Has anyone who has come on here wanting to be talked out of buying a (quality) cooker EVER been talked out of it?

it might have happened and I just missed it.

that's a VERY nice grill to be asking about... just sayin :grin:

Weber 26 - 508sq in - $329.00
PKOriginal - 305sq in - $369.95

You said you didn't use the Weber at all in 2020. An important consideration is the PK is also a charcoal grill. Will it be used more often or will it also sit like the Weber did?
Personally I would choose another Weber. It's hard to beat more real estate at a cheaper price and you don't have to use all that space. I also understand wanting something new. PK's are pretty sweet.

I love, love, love my PK original. I think you will too. It can do pretty much anything you ask of it, and it is quite miserly on fuel.

I have a PK360 and absolutely love it! I have grill grates with it, highly recommend this. I have also smoked a pork butt which turned out amazing! Great purchase :-D

I have a 22” Weber and a 26” Weber. Both are good. Idk why I didn’t buy a 26” much sooner bc I can do an entire meal on it WITH sides comfortably. I was super cramped on the 22”.

Buuuuuut, that pk is so tempting. The stand isn’t nearly as flimsy. You get more radiant heat for top side cooking. And as long as you get the original or tx, it’s MADE IN AMERICA. The tx is so portable too. Breaks down in seconds. Throw it in the truck, take to a friends or families house, set it up just as quickly, and cook like your at home. Can’t do that as easily with a Weber.

I almost bought a pk awhile ago but it was too small for my needs. That said, I wouldn’t hesitate to get a pk360 if it for size wise. I much prefer the 360 over the original. Vent controls are much better and easier to get to imo

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

I have a PK360 and a Weber Performer. I have to say as much as I like the PK with the cool factor I like the Weber better. With all of the accessories you can get with the Weber including the Slow n Sear and Vortex it's hard to beat. I also really like the propane charcoal lighter. PKs are great and are well built so nothing wrong with owning one but I find myself using the Weber much more frequently.

10 years ago my wife thought I was crazy paying $300 for my Weber gas assist performer, best $ I have ever spent on a grill, still rolling along with original grates, life is too short to only have a few toys to make food prep enjoyable imo

I bought the PKTX about a year and a half ago and I still believe it was worth every penny. I don't use mine for smoking, but there are a bunch of people that love it for that. Mine gets used to grill small meals multiple nights per week. 1/2 to 3/4 of a chimney takes about 15-20 minutes to get going and then I'm off and cooking. The thing is a tank and it doesn't require hardly any maintenance.

It will last a lifetime and I believe they hold their value fairly well. I don't regret pulling that trigger at all.

You need a weed burner!!!!
I'm off to the races in 5 or 10 minutes!
Paul B

Hey all. No need to talk me out of it. You win. I just started a new thread.

Back