Talk me down...

Swine Spectator

is Blowin Smoke!
Name or Nickame
David
OK, I need help.

I bought a Weber 26" kettle a few years ago when the kids were younger and we had a pool. I was constantly cooking for the entire neighborhood. We no longer have a pool and the kids are usually running the streets.

My daughters (twins) are seniors graduating in June. They will be off to college and the Wife.com and I will be "empty nesters" come fall.

I am thinking of selling the 26" and downsizing to a 22" or maybe even an 18". Charcoal ain't cheap no more.

What has me held up is that I have all of the accessories for the 26". I have Grill Grates, a Vortex, Charcoal Baskets, and most coveted of all - I have one of two "Fiskstones" in existence. Brethren David Fisk was prototyping a 1/4" plate charcoal griddle for Weber's before cancer took him from us (RIP Dave). He made several 22" griddles, but to my knowledge I own one of the two 26" griddles in existance. It is awesome, but I haven't used it much recently.

I believe that I would get a fair price for the kettle itself but think the accessories would be losers. I thought of just offering the Fiskstone to Brethren-only.

I welcome your thoughts. Should I just keep it all, or consider downsizing?

David

As Robb said, are you short on space? If so, then maybe look into getting rid of it. If not, the more the merrier.

I have a 22 that is most of the time just for the two of us, but several times I would have liked to have had a 26. (I’ve never cooked on a 26). If I had the room, as mentioned above, I would have both. There are used 22s listed quite often.

You don't have to use all the space the 26 affords. If one of your accessories is a Slow N' Sear that would be ideal. If not, consider a fire brick arraignment to make a smaller fire with less coal. You can wrap 1/2 to 2/3rds of the top grill to direct smoke and concentrate the heat where you want it for smaller cooks and still retain the capacity just in case you ever need it. Lid vent placement is important to get proper draft. It's easy to downsize a Weber and much harder to upsize one.

Just my .02 and hope it helps.

I wouldn’t think the 26” uses much more charcoal at all on direct cooks as long as you can control the spread of the charcoal, which with the baskets you can. Maybe a little more on indirect cooks but even then not much. I had the 22” sized slow and sear before I upgraded my kettle to the 26” and didn’t feel the need to upgrade it. I didn’t really notice much of a difference in how long the charcoal burns when I changed the grills.

I have a 22 that is most of the time just for the two of us, but several times I would have liked to have had a 26. (I’ve never cooked on a 26). If I had the room, as mentioned above, I would have both. There are used 22s listed quite often.

I’m actually thinking of selling my pellet grill, getting a 26 and a Weber adapter for my smobot.
Keep the 26!

Keep the 26". I have never been in the "go big or go home camp" but sometimes there is no substitute for bigger. If you have a way of corralling your coals into a smaller space you can definitely cook smaller - it might take 20 more coals than you'd like but...

I have two 22"s and there are times I would much prefer a 26" versus getting both of them going (usually Holiday/Event cooks when I'm cooking like 50-60 Filipino BBQ sticks and such).

With never owning a 26".... is there a way to "compartmentalize" for smaller cooks, like charcoal baskets or something to lessen your fuel consumption, as that was an issue you mentioned.

I'd keep it, but it's easy to throw zero cost recommendations around when I don't know all the variables.

And I know what you mean about custom accessories. I had a custom prototype Bi-Gal charcoal basket for the Bandera (some knew him as BigAl) which included a welded "farker" on the side. I actually ended up gifting both the Bandera and the basket and accessories to a Brethren.

And that Brethren was never seen again, literally.

If you have to get rid of it, then you have to. Just note that not many others will appreciate some of your custom accessories, and even fellow members here will appreciate it less and less. Heck, some have no idea who Dave even was, and that number grows daily.

But when it is time to get rid of it, then do so. And don't look back.

Chambers is just the latest Brother to pass, and unfortunately, that list grows too.

I wouldn't get rid of my 26" either, just to go to a 22". You should keep it, I doubt the charcoal differential is THAT much and you still have leeway over how much charcoal to use when cooking a smaller amount of food. If it was that big a deal, you could probably find a used 22" for almost nothing, I see them all the time for $20.

I beleive you are under the impression your large group cook outs are behind you.
Your children will be back often (X2) the rest of your life, and unless you're a complete asshat you will have friends to share chow with.
Since amounts of charcoal seem to be high on your problems list, I see you have baskets and in using them will get you over that problem.
Keep it.
Ed

Definitely shouldn't get rid of the 26" unless there are extenuating circumstances. An 18" or 22" is not overly expensive, but I would do like many have said just try to keep the coals a little tighter for smaller cooks on the 26".

It's just me and my dog. I have a $20 22" OTG but would gladly have a 26" for my only grill. You can cook small on a big grill but it's hard to turn that around.

With all your investments in the 26", I'd just look for a Craigslist/FB marketplace/OfferUP 22" for cheap and use whatever one fits the occasion.

I've had my 22" for almost 16 years or so now...It sat on the side of the house for YEARS...was thinking of getting rid it...then my medical issue prohibited me from using my gasser and other cookers for quite some time (sitting height and strength issues). Lo and behold, I bust out the kettle and I can cook outside again!

Point being, it's always nice to have an alternative just in case.

Side note, I can make the 22" work for about 98% of my cooks, but man I would sure love a 26" when I need it!

I'm in with the rest to keep it.
It won't be long and those twins will be bringing people home and you will need all that space again.

Back