taking on 7 rib racks on the Weber Kettle, when there's a will there's a way!

foxhound

MemberGot rid of the matchlight.
So I got a bunch of family coming over next weekend for my wife and I 1yr wedding anniversary. I live in the city area so my backyard is probably the size of most of your closets, only got room for my weber performer and a few chairs, nevertheless, i intend to make sure everyone gets 2nds, 3rds, 4ths and possibly 5ths of helpings during my day long bbq/grill cookout. There's nothing like eating, drinking and laughing with all the family, maybe i'm old school, doesn't bother me though!

So here's the logistics, let me know what you experts think:

4 total racks of beef short ribs (4 bone, english cut, chuck section)
2 racks, yellow mustard, blue hog rub
1 rack, yellow mustard and my own rub recipe
1 rack, olive oil, mccormicks low n slow texas rub

3 total racks of st louis cut ribs
1 rack, yellow mustard, mccormicks low n slow memphis rub
1 rack, olive oil, mccormicks low n slow texas rub
1 rack, yellow mustard and my own rub recipe

dry rubbing the night before and start cooking at 7am the next morning

im thinking about using my charcoal basket on one side of the grill, insulating the bottom rack with foil to help better circulate the temp air flow, throw on some wet and dry pecan weber chips, large aluminum tray underneath, with a little bit of beef broth and garlic. on top im going to use 2 small weber trays with water, broth and saffron (yea you can def taste it on the ribs)

for the rack i purchased the Broil King 62602 Rib Rack, it claims to hold 7, its slotted for 5 but they say you can rest two additional on the handle area. Since the beef ribs are taller i imagine it would be better to but them closer to the middle so it doesnt touch the lid, the butcher says its about 8-9 inches tall. for the st louis ill put them in the slots furthest from the heat and curl the edges if there isnt enough room.

figure i run it at about 225 - 230 temp for about 3 hours for the pork and 4 hours for the beef, let me know what you guys think about that. for spritz im thinking some papaya juice, my homemade rub and a tablespoon or 2 of olive oil.

I've never pulled the ribs and put them in foil with juice before, i think the beef ribs might need them, what would u guys recommend to put in the foil with the beef ribs?

after the ribs come off, im throwing in a whole oven roaster chicken on the rotisserie, my wife make a pretty mean peri peri portuguese/african sauce which we will marinade and inject the night before

then the par boiled sausages in broth and slap ya mamma cajun seasoning, and then hit the grill with some peppers and onions.

maybe some burgers and dogs afterwards, will see...

let me know if you see anywhere i can improve or if you have any questions for me, im pretty much just thinking out loud so i know to cover all my angles...

the most ive made on my weber before was 3 racks, using my weber rib rack, hopefully i can get 7 up to temperature and not ruin them.. i included pics from my previous cookouts and ill include pics of next weeks cookout...

thanks for reading! good times and good people!

-justin

Attachments

• 2013-07-20 11.26.41.jpg
    2013-07-20 11.26.41.jpg
    57.2 KB · Views: 131
  • 2013-07-20 11.26.33.jpg
    2013-07-20 11.26.33.jpg
    55.7 KB · Views: 131
  • 10001404_10100447451470657_3617592370347995943_n.jpg
    10001404_10100447451470657_3617592370347995943_n.jpg
    72.4 KB · Views: 131
If you are running out of space as the beef and spares will both be on together at some point at the same time, and your rack is not accommodating everything you can roll your spare ribs into an "O" and tie them with butcher's string around the outside to hold them in their shape. Then you can put them bone end down on the grate like a crown and they will support themselves in that shape for the duration of the cook. This way they will take up far less room. You may even have room for other things as well. Search the site for "rolling up ribs" or something like that and I think there is a thread with pics. Sounds like a fun party, congrats on your anniversary.

Another good space saver I've used on a kettle is to cut the racks into smaller chunks.. 1/2 rack to 1/3 rack chunks. You can stand them vertically in the rib rack for extra space. The smaller pieces will also give you space around the perimeter to squeeze more in.

thanks, yea i figure it will take some tetris'in to get them all on there, i've seen the rolling ribs you mentioned, looks awesome.. thank you.

Back