THE BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS

Welcome to The BBQ Brethren Community. Register a free account today to become a member and see all our content. Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

jpayers

Found some matches.
I want to take a class this winter. I'm currently looking at Pellet Envy (5 hour drive) or Swamp Boys (14 hour drive). I currently cook on a Backwoods clone of that makes a difference.

Which of the two should I start with? Any others I should definitely be considering? I pretty much cook only KCBS.

Thanks

I have taken 4 classes. I took Rods and it's a great class. Highly recommend it. But after taking these classes, I will say that I will never take a class where they don't use the TYPE of cooker I cook with. I cook on a Jambo. Now the instructor doesn't have to cook on a Jambo, but they do need to use an offset stick burner. You are not going to a recipe class. You are going to learn everything you need and if I cook on a Jambo and the instructor is a Pellet Head, I don't feel like you are learning everything you need. If I'm not mistaken, Rub cooks on a vertical smoker as well.

Just my 2 cents.

Rod, Rub, and Tuffy are the top 3 classes I want to take. So I would absolutely throw Tuffy into that list.
Can't ever stop learning. I hope to take Rod's and Tuffy's classes in the future. Would love to have you and jpayers join us in FL sometime.

Last edited:
I have taken Rod's, but not Rub's (not because I don't want to, but it's harder to take a class when you help teach another...it's a timing thing), and Rod's class was great. We were cooking on a stick burner at the time, and I felt I could use the information.

I will agree with the above to find a class where they're cooking on the same or similar smoker OR if there are multiple teams cooking where you will get multiple methods. When we switched to our Southern Q Limo, I took the class from the manufacturer knowing I would be able to ask Moyers and The Pit Crew GA every question under the sun to understand how to translate the methods onto a Limo.

Back