THE BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS

Welcome to The BBQ Brethren Community. Register a free account today to become a member and see all our content. Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Billy Roo's BBQ

Knows what a fatty is.
I went to a high end meat market this morning to check out their brisket. The butcher told me they sold full packer briskets and flats and that both cuts were "high end choice." I asked what he meant and he said they only bought meat that was at the top 2% of the choice category....basically just below prime. I asked to see a couple of packers so I could check them out. They were labeled with a SWIFT brand label.

I normally get my brisket at Sam's Club so I am excited to try something a little higher grade. I will be smoking the meat tomorrow and will be posting pictures along the way. Hopefully good results will follow.

Just curious....any brethren out there familiar with SWIFT? I really hope it is a step above what I have been buying at Sams.

Happy Smoking!

Last edited:
There is no such thing as top 2% of choice.

I usually get very good results with the Swift whole packers at Costco....when we can get them. We use 4 different packers here in Houston. I rank them based on how my brisket turns out.

1) National
2) Swift
3) IBP

4) Excel.........if that's all that's in the case I usually pass on these.....YMMV

If you buy Certified Angus Beef it will be high end choice (top 1/3rd of choice). I haven't heard of any plan that claims top 2% though. He might have been a little loose with his facts. But that doesn't mean the meat you bought from him won't be great.

I usually get very good results with the Swift whole packers at Costco....when we can get them. We use 4 different packers here in Houston. I rank them based on how my brisket turns out.

1) National
2) Swift
3) IBP
4) Excel.........if that's all that's in the case I usually pass on these.....YMMV

From a fellow Katy resident: the HEB I usually buy from here typically carries the Swift brand, and I get their Choice packers. No complaints.

Just pulled the brisket out of the Pit Barrel and I am happy to announce it is PROBE TENDER. I pulled it at 165 and wrapped it in butcher paper. Gave it some more time on the cooker and it was like butter when I probed it. The actual reading was 210, but as I have learned that doesn't mean a thing. Brisket is done when its done.

Thanks to everyone for their help and advice. Oh yeah, the swift brand tasted GREAT!! I will be using the high end meat shop from now on.

Hopefully pictures to follow.....

Here is the butcher paper that I used:

[ame="https://www.amazon.com/Peach-Butcher-Paper-Durable-Carry/dp/B00ZYDRI8K/ref=sr_1_3?s=kitchen&ie=UTF8&qid=1468866581&sr=1-3"]Amazon.com: Pink/Peach Butcher Paper Roll 24" X 150' in Durable Carry Tube: Kitchen & Dining[/ame]

Well worth the purchase. Foil is for fools :)

Back