Swift brand Brisket

Billy Roo's BBQ

Knows what a fatty is.
I went to a high end meat market this morning to check out their brisket. The butcher told me they sold full packer briskets and flats and that both cuts were "high end choice." I asked what he meant and he said they only bought meat that was at the top 2% of the choice category....basically just below prime. I asked to see a couple of packers so I could check them out. They were labeled with a SWIFT brand label.

I normally get my brisket at Sam's Club so I am excited to try something a little higher grade. I will be smoking the meat tomorrow and will be posting pictures along the way. Hopefully good results will follow.

Just curious....any brethren out there familiar with SWIFT? I really hope it is a step above what I have been buying at Sams.

Happy Smoking!

Last edited:
There is no such thing as top 2% of choice.

I usually get very good results with the Swift whole packers at Costco....when we can get them. We use 4 different packers here in Houston. I rank them based on how my brisket turns out.

1) National
2) Swift
3) IBP

4) Excel.........if that's all that's in the case I usually pass on these.....YMMV

If you buy Certified Angus Beef it will be high end choice (top 1/3rd of choice). I haven't heard of any plan that claims top 2% though. He might have been a little loose with his facts. But that doesn't mean the meat you bought from him won't be great.

I usually get very good results with the Swift whole packers at Costco....when we can get them. We use 4 different packers here in Houston. I rank them based on how my brisket turns out.

1) National
2) Swift
3) IBP
4) Excel.........if that's all that's in the case I usually pass on these.....YMMV

From a fellow Katy resident: the HEB I usually buy from here typically carries the Swift brand, and I get their Choice packers. No complaints.

Just pulled the brisket out of the Pit Barrel and I am happy to announce it is PROBE TENDER. I pulled it at 165 and wrapped it in butcher paper. Gave it some more time on the cooker and it was like butter when I probed it. The actual reading was 210, but as I have learned that doesn't mean a thing. Brisket is done when its done.

Thanks to everyone for their help and advice. Oh yeah, the swift brand tasted GREAT!! I will be using the high end meat shop from now on.

Hopefully pictures to follow.....

Here is the butcher paper that I used:

[ame="https://www.amazon.com/Peach-Butcher-Paper-Durable-Carry/dp/B00ZYDRI8K/ref=sr_1_3?s=kitchen&ie=UTF8&qid=1468866581&sr=1-3"]Amazon.com: Pink/Peach Butcher Paper Roll 24" X 150' in Durable Carry Tube: Kitchen & Dining[/ame]

Well worth the purchase. Foil is for fools :)

Back