Sweet Baby Ray's sauce got cling ability

I just used it for the first time last week. I didn't see the spicy, but would like to try it.

A guy I work with out of Chicago has em for a sponser for his team.

SBR is to sweet by itself for me. But I can see its appeal.

I never got that whole sweet BBQ sauce thing, really. If I want sweet, I'll use good ketchup. I like a sauce with some tang and kick. The SBR Hot and Spicy has a decent kick, but it's hard to find in the stores around here. The original is clearly what sells.

But then, this is also the city that piles so much stuff on a hot dog that you can't taste the dog any more...

Sweet Baby Ray's ribs

Hi guys,

Illini Dave works sales and marketing for Sweet Baby Ray's and I saw this board and had to sign up. The article that seems to have begun this conversation was wrong. Ms. Schiele (the authoress) was mistaken; we smoke pork shoulders and beef briskets between 12 to 14 hours but you all are right, if we smoked our ribs for 12 hours I could use the remaining bones as toothpicks. 2-2.5 hours max !!!!! The Results speak for themselves, we took first place in last weeks' Naperville, Illinois Ribfest. I'm glad I found this site and I'll be around from time to time, looks like a fun place to hang out
D

Sweet Baby Ray's is OK for a cheap grocery store sauce. I put it in the same class as KC Masterpiece and other big brands.

I came to the realization that people in Chicago don't know what BBQ should taste like... So they simply accept what they are given.... I ran into the same problem earlier this year... I feel like Guy Fieri let me down....

I missed this thread awhile back
Smoque is good IMO....it can get crowded and can be pricey but i dont think that diminishes the quality of the BBQ there..
as far as SBR sauce..I used it all the time until I started making my own for competition..
Ive had the opportunity to meet Dave Raymond on a couple occasions..he knows his BBQ..in fact he was helping out a cook team at Shannon this past weekend
you also have to take what you read in these little local papers with a grain of salt..when they write about cooking they tend to get things wrong..Ive been the subject of a couple BBQ articles in the paper and they always seem to screw up recipes and/or misquote. I mean they even screwed up the pic in this article :)

Back