Surf-N-Turf Tacos...

caseydog

somebody shut me the fark up.
I was thinking and thinking about a taco entry for the Taco Throwdown, and looked at all kinds of creative and authentic recipes, but couldn't find one I really wanted to make. So, I said, fark it, I'm shooting from the hip on this one.

I considered carne asada tacos, and fish tacos. I can't get good fish where I live, so I thought about shrimp, which I can get here. Steak tacos or shrimp tacos? Then it hit me -- surf and turf tacos.

I started with some Angus flank steak, that I marinaded in a homemade adobo marinade. No recipe, I just made it up as I went, based on marinades I made before, making the best use of the fresh herbs growing in my garden. Orange juice, lemon juice, a lot of garlic, and oregano and thyme from the garden.

picture.php

picture.php

After marinading for about eight hours, I pulled it and seasoned it with equal parts k-salt, black pepper and cayenne pepper. I pealed some Gulf shrimp, and oiled it with olive oil, and seasoned it with the same seasonings I used on the steak.

picture.php

I tossed the steak on the fire first, and cooked hot and fast to about medium.

picture.php

picture.php

Then the shrimp went on for just long enough to cook through, while the steak rested under foil.

picture.php

I Once the shrimp was done, it was time to make tacos. I chopped the steak and shrimp.

picture.php

I had my fixings already for my tacos. Lettuce, jalepeños, freshly grated cotija cheese, and homemade salsa picante.

picture.php

I assembled my surf-n-turf tacos, took pictures, and chowed down.

picture.php

OMG, they were good. How good? Here's what was left.

picture.php

After dinner, I settled down on the patio for a little "dessert."

picture.php

Yes, it was a good day. :grin:

CD

Over the top as usual. We are getting spoiled. LTC? Let's talk about the code. I just put 36 tomato plants in the ground this week. Now I have cotija cheese on my list. I made some of the best fajitas ever on Saturday night, but no pics, so it does not count.

Tacos = good
Shrimp = good
Steak = good

Those surf & turf tacos with steak & shrimp = GREAT!

Nice going CD! :thumb::clap:

Over the top as usual. We are getting spoiled. LTC? Let's talk about the code. I just put 36 tomato plants in the ground this week. Now I have cotija cheese on my list. I made some of the best fajitas ever on Saturday night, but no pics, so it does not count.

That is L+C, which means that jar of picante has lime juice and cilantro in it. I do a few different flavors, and levels of heat when I make picante.

CD

Back