THE BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS

Welcome to The BBQ Brethren Community. Register a free account today to become a member and see all our content. Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Wow he must be snob - he hates parboiling!

In fact, here are all the definitions from his blog for reference:

Crust - Layer of black goodness around the edges of brisket or ribs that holds excellent flavor.

Meat Caramel - After gratuitous amounts of smoke are applied, and liquid rendered fat has come to the surface of the meat to mix with the applied rub, a chemical rendering takes place that creates a sweet sticky layer on the surface of the meat that clings to the tip of your finger when pulled away from the meat. This is affectionately known as meat snot.

Parboiled - A process in which ribs are boiled before being grilled or smoked. This is what makes meat fall off the bone, and it also leaves good, flavorful fat in the water. It's cheating.

Rendered - The process of cooking fat until it literally melts into the meat. Cook it too fast and the fat is absent from the meat creating dryness. If it's not cooked long enough, the fat remains gelatinous and unsavory. There's no need to put well rendered fat aside.

Roast-Beefy - Brisket that hasn't been bathed in smoke, but rather tastes as if it was thrown in an oven like any hunk of roast beef. It might be good food, but it's not BBQ.

Sauced - Unsolicited BBQ sauce slathered over top of your meat, usually to add what was non-existent flavor in the meat.

Smoke Line - Red line around the outside edge of sliced brisket just below the crust that signifies an adequate amount of time in the smoker.

Sugar Cookie - Fat that turns to a slightly sweet and crispy flavorful nugget after copius amounts of smoke are applied.

Im a native Texan, I don't believe the BBQ Snob is, so I was confused as well. That being said, it has nothing to do with Sugar per his own blog.

Its a term he coined with some other bloggers I guess. Definition below from his Blog:

Sugar Cookie - Fat that turns to a slightly sweet and crispy flavorful nugget after copius amounts of smoke are applied.

Yep! This is pretty much the answer he just gave me via twitter.

Ray you should look at new cook book with all the different ways to flavor your brisket. Start with the sugar cookie, then maybe some ideas like snicker doodle (what you do after buying a new smoker), Oatmeal (new fad for a crust), no bake (keep your brisket out of the oven), and drop cookie ( something we have all done with grease on your gloves).

Ray you should look at new cook book with all the different ways to flavor your brisket. Start with the sugar cookie, then maybe some ideas like snicker doodle (what you do after buying a new smoker), Oatmeal (new fad for a crust), no bake (keep your brisket out of the oven), and drop cookie ( something we have all done with grease on your gloves).

So you're saying that this hasn't caught on in Okie land yet huh?

I've got friends from Texas that always bring back tamales her mom makes and brisket from her brother. The point and flat are always together in the slices. No sugar on the rub, tastes like salt, pepper, cumin, garlic powder. Very simple brisket but very good. Extremely moist and flavorful even after freezing and reheating. He must not be from the sugar cookie region :>)

I know I saw Daniel mentioned it on his twitter account (@BBQSnob) after this Sunday's episode of Pitmasters. He just mentioned he coined it, and liked Aaron Franklin's explanation of it. Doesn't sound like it was very clear though.

Sugar on a TX style brisket? I'm surprised @BBQSnob didn't spontaneously combust when he saw that.

Chris, yeah...you're not kidding!

If you look at an earlier post on this thread, I mentioned that brisket/foil 'debate' you had with he and Anthony Bourdain. That was fun twitter for a day or so!

Back