Stumps/Superior Clone build.

update 4/15

so here is more progress. Got the whole thing insulated
100_2026.jpg

100_2017.jpg

exaust put in. and caped the top.
100_2029.jpg

got the ashbox door and air intake put in today.
100_2030.jpg

100_2031.jpg

angle iron over it to keep moisture away.
Doors are done also. All welded and insulated.
hoping to fire this weekend.

Well it is done! Except for seasoning which will happen Sunday.
I missed some pics so there will be alot.
100_2034.jpg

Intake diffuser. Will take the brunt of the blast. 1/4"
100_2036.jpg

Air diffuser. about 1.5 inches away from the walls. And angled around the edges. also bent the sides down 1 inch. sits on legs.
100_2041.jpg

The drip pan. a little larger then the air diffuser. edges turned up and it is angled to the front where the drain is.

And here it is !!!
100_2050.jpg

100_2051.jpg

air intake. 2" door has 1/4 inside plate and 1.5" insulation on it.

100_2057.jpg

logo on it- just a magnet

100_2044.jpg

shelves in it. 6 there have 1 more to put in.
100_2045.jpg

front view.
100_2047.jpg

pic with the bottom door closed.

Well there it is.

I am kinda depressed about finishing. I do love the building. But glad it is done. Now hope and pray that it works well. I have a big fundraiser to do next weekend.

Looks great, Brother. I ride the short bus for the mechanically challenged. But I live vicariously through guys like you who can build.

Congratulations on a fantastic job, the ground up builds are my favorite threads,thanks for all the good photos.

awesome build !! craftsmanship top notch!

how long did it take you to do it? I always wanted one, but I can't weld chit!

That is one great build. Congradulations on the quality craftmanship you put into your smoker.... I hope it does all you expect. Can't wait to hear the results.

Well I seasoned it today. And did the biscuit test.
2 thermometers in it. one on the second to the botom shelf and 1 on the top shelf. had a temp difference of 12 - 15 degrees. not bad! I will take it.
also when I did the biscuit test saw that the back bottom was the hotter and the top front was the coolest. so I am going to move the heat deflector to the back. Should help. 6 hours burn on about 6 lbs charcoal.
pics.
100_2061.jpg

biscuit
100_2058.jpg

Got a rain cap for it. Fits and works great.

And one more important thing. Do not stick your head over the chute when it is getting low on coals. seems to create a hell of an updraft and burns a little.
100_2068.jpg

DUH!!!!

Also learned that the double door works great except I need to put angled pieces of metal on the inside of both to direct the moisture to the inside and not down the front and soak the gasket.

also putting on some levelers.

great looking job so far.. I am new to this forum and noticed that the post are a bit dated.
Is there anyone who can steer me towards where I can get plan/specs to build one of these clones? I would appreciate any and all help.. am in the planning stages at this time as MOMMA cut off my funds to buy one now that they had a price increase for 2011...Soooooo, I'll just build one...
thanks in advance for the help and advice..
bartman

Back