Stuffed Peppers

lunchman

is One Chatty Farker

Batch Image
Batch Image
Name or Nickame
Dom
For a Memorial Day get together with good friends that we attend every year, I figured rather than making my always anticipated mac n' cheese on the grill, I'd change things up this year and make stuffed peppers. I've posted this recipe in past years over in the Big Steel Keg forum, it's essentially an adaptation of one found a few years back from bbqpitboys.

Normally I make these with full size red peppers, but since there's always a TON of food at this gathering, I altered the recipe to use smaller peppers, so they were more on a tapas size. I made up a pot of tomato sauce this morning, then got to work firing up the Goldens and started in on the filling. These are meat only, no rice (we don't need no steenkin' rice). For the burgers I used 2 lbs ground beef, 1 lb ground turkey, 1 lb ground pork. Mix together with chopped onion, garlic, Worcestershire and one of my rubs for seasoning.

Make up some good sized burgers -

Those, together with sausage make up the filling. Today I'm using some chicken sausage and some hot -

The peppers being used for today's cook -

The Goldens Cast Iron doing its thing, smoking away -

And they're just about done, ready to be cut into smaller pieces -

The burgers and sausage get mixed with some tomato sauce, breadcrumbs, more Worcestershire and shredded mozzarella to make a relatively firm but moist ball to place in each pepper. Amounts are hard to measure, I do it all by feel. At this point Mrs. lunchman stepped in, filled the peppers and made sure they were properly color coordinated in the pan :-D -

Since these get baked at around 325-350 or so, I used the searing plate for the first time with the Goldens, so they would bake indirect -

For those wondering, 4 lbs of filling is WAY too much for these, I thought I would make two trays but held back at one. I have a few burgers and sausage left over for lunches and dinners this week.

The colorful tray of stuffed peppers - red, orange, yellow, green. My thanks to the Mrs. for doing a fine job! Sauce coats the bottom of the pan, each pepper is topped with more sauce and mozzarella -

This was a relatively large pan and fit perfectly in this cooker -

Normally I cook these for about 40-45 minutes, but since these were smaller peppers they were done in 30 -

Sorry, no plated pics as I took them to a gathering and wasn't keen on bringing the camera to take pics. As usual, they turned out great and always get rave reviews. The peppers still have a good crunch to them and the addition of sausage in the mix and lack of rice makes all the difference in taste.

Thanks for checking out today's cook!

-lunchman

Thanks for all the kind comments.

Just so you can see what they look like plated, here are some pics from a few weeks back when I made the full size peppers for dinner out on the Bubba Keg.

Out on the Keg in my cast iron pans -

And the money shot.

Plated -

-lunchman

Back