Stubbs vs Trader Joe's briquettes

TXNewbie

Full Fledged Farker
Name or Nickame
Someone
So I've been using TJ's a lot lately and gotten used to it. I like it. But with all the comments on how great Stubbs is, and seeing it on sale at Lowes I picked up a few bags to try.

To be brief - not a fan for grilling, though I will use the left over for my smoker.

I prepared on two back-to-back nights burgers to compare the two with family in town for multiple opinions. It was unanimous.

• I filled up my chimney to the same spot on both nights.
  • I used the same exact spot on my Assassin grill.
  • I gave them the same time in the grill to get set.
  • I seasoned the burgers the same exact way with Carne Costa rub.
  • I used the same amount of sliced cheese.
  • I even made sure the ambient temp was quite similar.

Observations:

• Holy molly, the Stubbs took forever and ever and ever to actually ash over in the chimney.
  • By the time it was ready to be put in the grill, the volume of briquettes in the chimney had degreased about 15% with a considerable ash pile underneath.
  • The burgers did not sizzle when I put the burgers on the Stubbs. It seems as though they did not run nearly as hot as the TJ's.
  • When I put the burgers on the TJ's, you noticed the wonderful aroma of the Carne Costa rub. Never got that aroma with the Stubbs.
  • The burgers with TJ's had a much better crust than the Stubbs.
  • The burgers did not taste as good with the Stubbs as the TJ's.

I'm not saying the Stubbs is bad. I Think it will work fine in my smoker. But for me, with the way I cook using my grill, I like the TJ's for more heat intensive cooking.

I never thought of trying Trader Joes charcoal briquettes. I don't know why since I do get a lot of other stuff from TJs. I'll definitely give it a try now. How pricey is it?

Have you tried HEB grand champion briquettes. I like them a lot more than kbb just picked some up $8 for 15#

Larry

Last edited:
I've never had an issue with Stubb's. My local Lowe's stopped carrying it in favor of Cowboy Briqs (which produces Stubb's anyway, from what I hear). Still, I'd love to try the TJ briqs if they're priced competitively.

I've never had an issue with Stubb's. My local Lowe's stopped carrying it in favor of Cowboy Briqs (which produces Stubb's anyway, from what I hear). Still, I'd love to try the TJ briqs if they're priced competitively.

It is definitely a bit more expensive than Stubb's. I'm paying $5.99 a bag and the bag is not as big as Stubbs.

Yeah, HEB is really dragging its feet on moving into the DFW area here in Texas. They've been here with Central Market for years.

I don't think I've seen charcoal at Central Market. However going forward I think the Trader Joe's charcoal is a real winner. I have a bag of B&B briquettes I got at Academy I do need to try, though.

Back