Strike three on brisket, with a save.

Shadowdog500

is One Chatty Farker
Third attempt at brisket was not successful just like the previous two attempts. Even after a 12 hour smoke, and probing that felt like it was like butter, the flat of the brisket was still dry and undercooked. I used the advise from the Arron Franklin videos and even wrapped the brisket in paper at about the 7 hour mark., and let it rest in the paper for an hour.

Luckily I also learned from the videos to slice undercooked brisket thin to fake the texture. Today my wife wanted to try the her microwave pressure cooker she got from QVC so she put the flat in with some beef broth, garlic, etc, and some smoked salt. She zapped it at 50% power for about 30-40 min, and the brisket was revived to the point of being a tad too tender, so I cut it thick and shredded it for sandwiches. The sandwiches were great!

Now I'm looking for a good brisket cook in the area or further so I can see and learn first hand how to make good brisket.

Here are some photos.

My setup ready the night before for a 4AM start time.
aa0e38170cd73ac747fbe53a0bf52e48_zps53d3ad14.jpg

Brisket on at 5:15 AM (I meant to put it fat side up, but was still half asleep when I put it on. I put the lid on and went back asleep for a few hours(I love my IQ110 just for that reason)
6caf96efe608dd4d277995d47d96472d_zpsb4709533.jpg

Wrapped and resting:
33a1038beff4b9b956bc77c70a98a7c4_zps792cb0d7.jpg

Brisket done: (it shrank considerably)

fcc8102d354d2cac5d5258dfd20d659a_zps74c7ea30.jpg

8f2ac4e63091baf3bdc81aab580a58e6_zps9d5e98fb.jpg

Juicy resurrected brisket for lunch today. I made it like a pulled pork sandwich complete with cole slaw. We had 2 each?
070449d902a38e52b901815b1084ad24_zps65e1d5f5.jpg

Looks like you barely missed it. What are you probing with? If it's really thin try something thicker. I grabbed the wrong probe before and almost made a mistake. It slid in so easy I thought it was done. Grabbed my normal probe and it was not ready. Somebody posted the other day about probing with something that does not have a pointed tip. That way you can feel the collagens snap against the probe. Sounded like a good idea. If you don't feel the collagens breaking then it's done.

Looks like you barely missed it. What are you probing with? If it's really thin try something thicker. I grabbed the wrong probe before and almost made a mistake. It slid in so easy I thought it was done. Grabbed my normal probe and it was not ready.

I'm using an aluminum tig welding rod about the diamater of an old metal coat hanger. The last brisket felt the same way with the same rod, and the results were exactly the same.

Thanks,

Chris

Did you cook the brisket fat side down, or up. From the picture it looks like you cooked it fat side up. If so, try the next one fat side down to insulate it from the heat source, and it should not be as dry. Also try to get a whole packer and try that. Just cooking a flat with little fat in it will give you a dryer end product, and will be harder to get a good juicy brisket as a result. Just my experience over the years.

Glad you were able to salvage the cook for some great eats in the end.

Have a Blessed day!

Omar

I agree on whole packers being more tender. I don't think you need anything other than a little more patience. Next cook use the same probe and wait till it feels even tenderer. You'll get there. At least now you have a process to fix any other undercooked briskets if it happens again.

Did you cook the brisket fat side down, or up. From the picture it looks like you cooked it fat side up. If so, try the next one fat side down to insulate it from the heat source, and it should not be as dry. Also try to get a whole packer and try that. Just cooking a flat with little fat in it will give you a dryer end product, and will be harder to get a good juicy brisket as a result. Just my experience over the years.

Glad you were able to salvage the cook for some great eats in the end.

Have a Blessed day!

Omar

It was a 10 lb, packer, and I smoked it fat side down. The point was perfect, it was just the flat that was dry. My first attempt a few years ago was with a flat from the supermarket, so I guess this is only my second attempt with a packer.

Next time I will probe for a whipped butter feeling. Regular butter means it is not done yet.:grin:

Thanks!

Chris

Give this a try next time, this is a proven method for a true central Texas style brisket and is pretty simple. You'll need four key ingredients, beef, kosher salt, coarse black pepper and smoke!
To prep the brisket trim the fat cap layer down to about 1/4 inch or less. The idea is to have a thin layer of fat that will render down, marry up with your spice rub and become a sticky, crunchy and flavorful part of the bark.
After the fat has been trimmed down, I like to apply some cooking oil which helps the rub to adhere to the meat and activates the natural oils in the spices.
The spice rub will consist of a 50/50 blend of kosher salt and 16 mesh coarse ground black pepper. I like to dust mine with a little garlic powder as well but the important things are the salt and pepper. Coat the meat well with the rub and allow the rub to mix in with the oil for 30 minutes to an hour.
Heat the pit to 275 (different cookers like to run at different temperatures and you may be cooking at higher or lower temps but the method remains the same, only cooking time is effected).Smoke the brisket for 4 hours, after the first 4 hours wrap the brisket in butcher paper and continue cooking at 275, checking the flat for tenderness after 3 more hours of cooking. To do this simply find a sharp pointed object such as a thermometer or skewer and poke the flat in several places, (always determine doneness by probing for tenderness, not IT) when it has the feel of room temperature butter it's time to pull the brisket off of the cooker.
Allow the brisket (still wrapped in butcher paper) to rest on the kitchen counter for a minimum of 2 hours, at the end of the rest period it's ready for slicing. Slice against the grain and enjoy.:-D
Using this method I can usually get a 15 pound whole packer done in 7 to 8 hours (not counting resting time).:wink:

Give this a try next time, this is a proven method for a true central Texas style brisket and is pretty simple. You'll need four key ingredients, beef, kosher salt, coarse black pepper and smoke!
To prep the brisket trim the fat cap layer down to about 1/4 inch or less. The idea is to have a thin layer of fat that will render down, marry up with your spice rub and become a sticky, crunchy and flavorful part of the bark.
After the fat has been trimmed down, I like to apply some cooking oil which helps the rub to adhere to the meat and activates the natural oils in the spices.
The spice rub will consist of a 50/50 blend of kosher salt and 16 mesh coarse ground black pepper. I like to dust mine with a little garlic powder as well but the important things are the salt and pepper. Coat the meat well with the rub and allow the rub to mix in with the oil for 30 minutes to an hour.
Heat the pit to 275 (different cookers like to run at different temperatures and you may be cooking at higher or lower temps but the method remains the same, only cooking time is effected).Smoke the brisket for 4 hours, after the first 4 hours wrap the brisket in butcher paper and continue cooking at 275, checking the flat for tenderness after 3 more hours of cooking. To do this simply find a sharp pointed object such as a thermometer or skewer and poke the flat in several places, (always determine doneness by probing for tenderness, not IT) when it has the feel of room temperature butter it's time to pull the brisket off of the cooker.
Allow the brisket (still wrapped in butcher paper) to rest on the kitchen counter for a minimum of 2 hours, at the end of the rest period it's ready for slicing. Slice against the grain and enjoy.:-D
Using this method I can usually get a 15 pound whole packer done in 7 to 8 hours (not counting resting time).:wink:

Thanks,

I'll try this next time.

Chris

Curious question. I see you sealed your door on your WSM in a rather unique way. How did that work for you? I usually just take a rubber mallet and whack my door a few times to tighten up that seal. I've seen guys who foil the door, install a gasket, etc. Never seen the wood block/bungee method. Did the bungee melt?

I think a lot of new brisket cookers probe in the point thinking it's done, make sure it's the flat end that probes like jello/butter.

You might try turning your WSM door upside down or ask for a stainless Cajun door for your birthday/holiday.

Back