Stoker or DigiQ II?

My Smoker with first DigiQII run.....

IMG_0453-1.jpg

My Custom built stand for Guru to sit and and be Protected from Elements...
IMG_0454.jpg

OK, got the SW going for about an hour so far.

First, I'm using no water in the pan.

I made a mistake by getting the initial fire to hot, the temp ran up to about 260...so I closed the vents down to 1/2 turn open each. The pit temp was set for 225.

After 1/2 an hour or so the temp went down to 225 and has been holding there for an hour.
I added a couple of fatties(my first ones).
One Jimmy Dean one Bob Evans...both have cream cheese, poblano peppers, gouda cheese and some ham I smoked.

The ramp feature worked well and did not blow continuous but it took a bit to get from 205 to 225.

fyi...having 25 cfm is nice if only for holding it with damper fully open and stoking the fire for initial temp.

Also, I have done Nothing extra trying to make my SW airtight.....it's as it came from Jay.

It holding again at 224-227 all looks well.
I have the blower damper opened so only one slot shows on the etching on damper.

So how did the cook finish? Are you glad you have the 25 cfm fan? How much did you have to choke the fan down? Thanks

I got the magnetic mounting bracket from BBQ Guru for my DigiQ so I can hang the unit right from the side on the Spicebox.

Keeps everything off the ground.

Might want to check it out.

I don't think you SW-owners need to worry too much about how air tight your cooker is. I've got a guru on a bandera, which leaks like a sieve, and it for the most part does what it is supposed to do. The key as has been mentioned in this and other posts is not letting too much fuel get ignited which can result in the temperature running away from you.

I found that it is VERY important to get your unit warmed up without the fire going out of control and too hot before you start regulating with the DigiQ.

If you go to hot you are battling to keep temperature down, usually by closing off vents and damper....then you run risk of putting the fire out.

So how did the cook finish? Are you glad you have the 25 cfm fan? How much did you have to choke the fan down? Thanks

The cook finished well. I am glad to have the 25 cfm fan if only to get my starter chimney going. Whats a couple more dollars.
I had it open 25%.

The only problem I had was on startup...DigiQ blew on fire to get it to 225 but then it was too hot. Had to close up chimneys and damper to get it down, then it went out. Needed to start over then all went fine. My guess is if I used water in the pan It would be a no brainer as the water helps absorb overshoots.

I got the magnetic mounting bracket from BBQ Guru for my DigiQ so I can hang the unit right from the side on the Spicebox.

Might want to check it out.

Call me anal, but I'm afraid the magnets may mar the great finish on my unit.

BTW, my first fatties turned out great....I love the combination of gouda, cream cheese, and the poblano's...didnt need the ham.
I was surprised at how quickly they came up to temp(160).

Not sure if I preffered the Bob Evans or Jimmy Deans...guess I'll need to do a side by side again.

Ribs came out really good, didnt baste once either.

OH, another thing....Natural Glo is great lump. HUGE pieces in there , not much small stuff.....almost made it hard to fill my basket without huge gaps because of the large sizes. My supplier said Natural Glo is Royal Oak but packaged for Wholesale/Restaurants.

Do you have a picture?

I don't think you SW-owners need to worry too much about how air tight your cooker is. I've got a guru on a bandera, which leaks like a sieve, and it for the most part does what it is supposed to do. The key as has been mentioned in this and other posts is not letting too much fuel get ignited which can result in the temperature running away from you.

I think I can relate to that advice.

How long have you had it? Think of it like a car. It will get marred and rub out the same as a car buffs out.

Not sure if I preffered the Bob Evans or Jimmy Deans...guess I'll need to do a side by side again.

Have you tried using home made?

OH, another thing....Natural Glo is great lump. HUGE pieces in there , not much small stuff.....almost made it hard to fill my basket without huge gaps because of the large sizes. My supplier said Natural Glo is Royal Oak but packaged for Wholesale/Restaurants.

Where did you get it? Seems no one here is carrying lump right now.

I haven't used either system but am looking at both and wondering if the ramp up is that much of a benefit. Not sure about the weather proof of the stoker, but that's important.

Wood - did you have Jay put a hole in there for it?

I haven't used either system but am looking at both and wondering if the ramp up is that much of a benefit. Not sure about the weather proof of the stoker, but that's important.

When I used to use it with the WSM, I would let my fire almost get to temp before I turned on the fan - that way it would not overshoot.

I do not believe the Stoker is weather-resistant - please correct me if I am wrong. I have seen them in bags or in tupperware at contests. Weather-resistant scares me after all the bad storms we had at contests in Texas last year.

The ramp mode on the Guru is there so you do not overcook a butt or brisket or whatever else you are cooking to a temp. How it works is that you set a pit temp and a meat temp (two probes - one in the cooker and one in the meat). When your food gets close to the desired temp, the guru will start kicking the fire down by not not blowing so your food does not hit max temp and finally will act as a holding place, so if want something 190, it will stay there. The feature is great if you have to go somewhere while cooking or you are at work and the timing is getting close. Although after your tragedy, I don't know how much unattended cooking will be done - sorry about your loss. I know my cooker is going nowhere near the house anymore.

When I lived in Birmingham, I used to get the nature-glo at a restaurant food supplier.

Where did you get it? Seems no one here is carrying lump right now.

Wood - did you have Jay put a hole in there for it?

Drilled the hole myself with a step drill.
I got the lump from

Berger Brothers Co. E-mail this company 1176 N. Cherry Ave. Chicago, IL 60622-4203 Phone: 312-642-4238 Fax: 312-642-5102

I've used it about a dozen times and to date it has not ruined the paint at all. (yet for all my cautiousness I got a scuff elsewhere caused by something totally different that could not have been forseen.. go figure !)
I put it in the same spot every time toward the upper corner of one side and am very careful when putting it on and taking it off.

Chinesebob - Mine is different as it has a magnet mounted on it and is a bit smaller and a different shape but here's the basic idea from a pic on the Guru site...

Last edited:
Back