THE BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS

Welcome to The BBQ Brethren Community. Register a free account today to become a member and see all our content. Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

If your coals are falling through the grate then get a piece of expanded and place that over the grate so you have more of a grid to hold onto the coals.

The only coal I use is in the initial bed to get my wood going. I leave the top vent open and control the intake with the bottom vent. Sometimes I control the air flow with the fire box door. I often preheat my wood on the top of the firebox. Small pieces of wood catch fire quicker and smoulder less.

Old thread but I'm glad it is still here! I just realized after reading this why I'm having so much trouble. A full fire box with the vent cracked open creates smoldering and white smoke! Now to try it wide open and with a small fire. Does certain wood create more white smoke than others or is it all temperature/air based? Thanks!!

Back