THE BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS

Welcome to The BBQ Brethren Community. Register a free account today to become a member and see all our content. Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

CT-Mike

is one Smokin' Farker
So my SF will be ready for pickup on 11MAR, and I am looking at purchasing a cord of hardwood for fuel.

Typical wood suppliers around here will sell a cord mixed with red oak, yellow birch, maple, ash, and some cherry. Occasionally you might get some white oak, but not very often.

So with that in mind, is the ash or birch ok to use for smoking?

Unfortunately I can't find anyone in the area that will sell a cord of strictly oak, maple, or cherry.

Thanks for the help.

Thanks Ron, now I just need to learn how to better identify the different species.

Look harder on craigslist etc. You don't want wood from the firewood dealers that mix species. It can be incredibly difficult to ID splits, especially when the bark has fallen off.

Search CL for the surrounding area by wood species, and or words like smoking wood. If that fails, ask any nearby BBQ restaurants where they get their wood.

Look for any orchards in your area. Every year, they need to trim back the trees to help them grow. That wood has to go somewhere...

I am in NH and have the same dilemma. I was able to pull some good oak, maple, and ash out of my woodpile. I just picked the stuff that had bark on it that I could identify. I cut them down into smaller splits from the guidance here. I supplemented that with some Fruita wood online when it was on sale. Worked out well so far. The VA Tech Tree ID app is helpful in understanding what some of the barks look like. But one caveat...be aware that certain woods like sycamore/elm are not good apparently for smoking and can make you ill.....so tread carefully!

I am in NH and have the same dilemma. I was able to pull some good oak, maple, and ash out of my woodpile. I just picked the stuff that had bark on it that I could identify. I cut them down into smaller splits from the guidance here. I supplemented that with some Fruita wood online when it was on sale. Worked out well so far. The VA Tech Tree ID app is helpful in understanding what some of the barks look like. But one caveat...be aware that certain woods like sycamore/elm are not good apparently for smoking and can make you ill.....so tread carefully!

Where you at in NH ?

i'm close to the coast.

get plenty good wood,,,free :)

Back