Stick Burner for Central Texas BBQ

dsp2

Full Fledged Farker
Hey, everyone. I'm planning a trip to Austin and have, as a side benefit, become obsessed with reading about Central Texas Q. Looking to hit a few of the famous joints, I've been reading tons of stuff here and at amazing ribs and I'm working through Aaron Franklin's book, and I'm now reading up on various pits.

I've been cooking on a WSM, a few BGEs, Kettles, a Portable Kitchen, and a couple others I never use for many years. I have a lot of experience but I'm still definitely what you'd call an amateur and a hobbyist. I turn out some good Q on my good days, but I also have a crazy non-Q related job, demanding wife and kid, relatively small yard, etc.

I'm reading about how stick burners burning clean all wood fires with optimal draft/airflow is the most classic way to cook Central Texas BBQ. Looking at options for these, I'm seeing the Old Country Smoker that Franklin used in his PBS show/youtube videos or the model above it for $399 or $499.

I've also gone off the deep end (for me) and have started looking at the Yoder Cheyenne.

Long winded question - do you think it's worth picking up a relatively inexpensive stick burner like the Old Country to play around with and to complement my other cookers? Or do you think it would be too much hassle? I think I understand the argument about smoke from a clean burning all wood fire vs. smoldering chunks on top of charcoal. I also understand that the offset is less efficient and will require a wood pile or whatever and is a little harder to control temps on than, say, the BGE or WSM.

I would need a bigger push to invest in something like the yoder (like if I have some transcendental Q on my trip, maybe I'll come home and simply have to buy one :) )

Just some BBQ-musing on a nice summer day. I'm debating whether a new toy like the Old Country would be worth it or if I'm better off trying other improvements to cook better Central Texas Q like investing in better meat.
dsp2

He uses the RsnchHand in his videos - it's too small - get a Wrangler or Pecos -use it for a year or two and then upgrade if you like it.

Awesome - thanks, guys! Also, great post and thread on airflow. Very informative!

I need two next steps - figure out how to get one in NJ (they seem to be unavailable online at academy) then sell my wife on why I need one. I actually think that will be pretty easy in this case....have already started building the case...

Old Country makes a much better pit than the Okie Joe's (Poor QC). Dollar for dollar it's a sound choice. I was going to get an OC but I ran in to a deal on a Trailmaster LE that I couldn't refuse. Bigger pit for 1/2 the cost of the OC. I'm very happy with it.

Generally, in offsets, you get what you pay for, the Yoder will be a better pit over the long haul. The Old Country will be better than the Oklahoma Joe's.

If your goal is purely central Texas BBQ, than an offset is the best choice. Although, someone working with experience can produce great brisket off of a UDS burning charcoal and wood chunks as well.

Generally, in offsets, you get what you pay for, the Yoder will be a better pit over the long haul. The Old Country will be better than the Oklahoma Joe's.

If your goal is purely central Texas BBQ, than an offset is the best choice. Although, someone working with experience can produce great brisket off of a UDS burning charcoal and wood chunks as well.

Yeah this is part of my question. I love the BGEs and WSMs I've had over the years. Portable kitchen and kettles, too.

I'm wondering if it's worth investing in something new or just continuing to capitalize on knowing how to operate those other cookers well, and just implementing other improvements.

It kind of depends on the cost. If I can get a new toy for $500 or less (ideally!) that produces something different, I think it's worth it. As long as it's a quality tool that lasts, minimally it will be a nice complement to what I already have. Honestly I'm toying with the idea of buying *something* this summer. Currently using 18.5 inch wsm, small BGE, 22 inch kettle, and a portable kitchen. Have several smaller kettles for tailgating, an Orion I haven't used in ages, and a cheap electric I haven't used in ages. I was toying with the idea of a 22 inch wsm for bigger cooks (like our July 4 party) or going other direction and getting 14.5 inch wsm for more efficient small cooks. I'm kind of all over the place at the moment :)

Just kind of want to try out an offset as long as it's high quality and allows me to produce something different.

Yeah this is part of my question. I love the BGEs and WSMs I've had over the years. Portable kitchen and kettles, too.

I'm wondering if it's worth investing in something new or just continuing to capitalize on knowing how to operate those other cookers well, and just implementing other improvements.

It kind of depends on the cost. If I can get a new toy for $500 or less (ideally!) that produces something different, I think it's worth it. As long as it's a quality tool that lasts, minimally it will be a nice complement to what I already have. Honestly I'm toying with the idea of buying *something* this summer. Currently using 18.5 inch wsm, small BGE, 22 inch kettle, and a portable kitchen. Have several smaller kettles for tailgating, an Orion I haven't used in ages, and a cheap electric I haven't used in ages. I was toying with the idea of a 22 inch wsm for bigger cooks (like our July 4 party) or going other direction and getting 14.5 inch wsm for more efficient small cooks. I'm kind of all over the place at the moment :)

Just kind of want to try out an offset as long as it's high quality and allows me to produce something different.

TYhe Food won't be Leaps and Bounds better or different but the whole cooking experience will be different tending a stickburner. You should add one to your arsenal and learn a new cooking style. :heh:

WSM vs offset

For backyard use you need to get a WSM 22 to add to your toys. I started out on a cheapo Chargriller offset. It's goodto beable to use the offset but it requires adding wood every 30-40 minutes. I switched to the WSM about a year ago and I love it. A sack of charcoal and a few chunks of wood will burn up to 20 hours with no special care. Nice to sleep while my brisket cooks for 12 hours. July 4 I cooked a 18 lb. brisket and 3 racks of St Louis ribs.

I turn out some good Q on my good days, but I also have a crazy non-Q related job, demanding wife and kid, relatively small yard, etc.

This statement makes me want to ask the big question. Do you have 3-4 hours to sit around to tend the smoker to make ribs, 6-8 hours minimum to tend the smoker for a pork butt or brisket? Extend these times if you don't cook at 300+ degrees.

I know with the WSM and Kamado cookers. those are the set it and forget it type of pits. Add in a ATC and you hardly ever have to fuss with the fire management. A stickburner you will have to check on every 30mins-1hour depending on the size of your wood splits and how seasoned they are.

Also do you have a readily available source for wood splits? As well as the time to actually split logs down to size if they are too big?

It is great to romanticize about cooking on a stickburner, but you have to make sure you are ready to take on that time commitment to make it worth your while.

I would master the cookers you have now until you are able to put out a consistent product each and every time before purchasing a new cooker.

This statement makes me want to ask the big question. Do you have 3-4 hours to sit around to tend the smoker to make ribs, 6-8 hours minimum to tend the smoker for a pork butt or brisket? Extend these times if you don't cook at 300+ degrees.

I know with the WSM and Kamado cookers. those are the set it and forget it type of pits. Add in a ATC and you hardly ever have to fuss with the fire management. A stickburner you will have to check on every 30mins-1hour depending on the size of your wood splits and how seasoned they are.

Also do you have a readily available source for wood splits? As well as the time to actually split logs down to size if they are too big?

It is great to romanticize about cooking on a stickburner, but you have to make sure you are ready to take on that time commitment to make it worth your while.

I would master the cookers you have now until you are able to put out a consistent product each and every time before purchasing a new cooker.

Thank you and I appreciate this. I make consistently good ribs, chicken, and pulled pork. I've really only dabbled in brisket and beef ribs. It's too long between cooks of those meats for me to make any claims.

I am pretty certain I'll be buying *something*. Debating the new cooking experience with the offset mentioned above vs. adding capacity with the WSM 22 incher.

But I totally get and appreciate your point about romanticizing about the allure of the stick burner. I have a space I could use for wood and I know I'd use it, but to your point the question I guess I need to further ponder is would I use it enough to justify the purchase?

Back