Steelhead

Fatback Joe

Babbling Farker
I have really been digging this lately and with the current throwdown thought I would take a couple of pics along the way...

The fish

Trimmed it up to have a more uniform thickness and hit with a rub/cure of 50/50 Sea salt and brown sugar. 2.5% for each based on the weight of the fish. On the foil just to make clean up easy. After the rub was applied it was vac packed and put in the fridge.

In the fridge for a week, then out and rinsed. Duck breast also for another project.

Hit it with a fairly heavy dose of white pepper as well as some CBP. Then off to the smoker.

Apparently I forgot to take any pics during or after the smoke, but it was a cold smoke (70 degrees) for about 4 hours with cherry wood. Then back in the fridge over night.

:doh:

My wife made a sourdough rye last Friday and still had some of that hanging around, so toasted that up.

Hit it with some creamy swiss, the fish, and grabbed some chives from out back.

It was a fine start to the day. With the rye, pepper on the fish, and fresh chives, there were plenty of strong flavors and they went together quite well.

Joe, looks great but really curious about why you do such a long brine.

Just a matter of convenience for me. Generally, I will put the cure on one weekend and continue with it the next rather than trying to fark with stuff during the week if I can help it.

That is the reason I use an equilibrium cure at 2.5% of the weight. No matter how long it sits in the cure it won't get saltier.

I love Thirdeye's recipe and have followed it on more than one occasion. I find the way I have been doing to be simple and if life interferes with my curing/cooking plans it doesn't matter. I think of what I am doing is just a simple way to cure some fish.......not sure I would classify it as "lox" of any kind or something that is pretty clearly defined. It was just an offshoot of other meat curing to me and wasn't looking for anything other than foolproof.

No other significant reason. I am a pretty shallow thinker. LOL :-D

Thanks for the explanation. I've been considering doing this for a while and have found so many methods it's confusing. Totally respect your curing knowledge and was trying to put 2&2 together.

Thanks for the explanation. I've been considering doing this for a while and have found so many methods it's confusing. Totally respect your curing knowledge and was trying to put 2&2 together.

Thanks. It doesn't get any easier than this. It is a good starting off point for some of the more complex recipes/procedures out there. If you have a good piece of fish, the end result will be good.

Nice, love me some good trout or salmon cured. A little cream cheese, chopped red onion and capers on a bagel. Can't beat that breakfast.

Back