THE BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS

Welcome to The BBQ Brethren Community. Register a free account today to become a member and see all our content. Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Paul B

is one Smokin' Farker
I'm picking up a Camp Chef Pro 30 burner for camping.
What would you all use as a griddle? The Camp Chef measures 14 x16 cooking surface.
I'm thinking ss for the rust resistance attributes.
Paul B

While the stainless steel would work and obviously prevent rust, Stanbroil makes an exact replacement in size for the Camp Chef.

Also, a well seasoned griddle will also resist rusting if stored out of the elements.

While the stainless steel would work and obviously prevent rust, Stanbroil makes an exact replacement in size for the Camp Chef.

Also, a well seasoned griddle will also resist rusting if stored out of the elements.

I have got to stay off of this site. It costs me a fortune. I have never heard of Stanbroil but I just bought one of their stainless steel griddles for my Blackstone 17.

My ? with stainless is how well does it do with sticking? will it develop a none stick surface like the cold rolled steel? I know I fight stainless sticking stuff, 1 tip for stainless is put white vinegar on it and warm it till it evaporates, it will last several months depending on what you cook and how you clean it.

I have a stainless griddle that sets over my 24" side-burner and I have no problems with sticking. If I didn't know it was stainless I wouldn't know based on the performance that it wasn't regular carbon steel plate. If it's left overdoors stainless has an obvious advantage.

to6u2sfl.jpg

I think I've decided on the cast iron camp chef. I need to see and feel a ss one and there are non in my area.
Thanks all,
Paul B

I use the Camp Chef Griddle and have no problems. A good seasoning and the food rinses off with water while the griddle is still warm.

However with stainless, food can still stick, and the griddle can still discolor from intense heat. Stainless just stands up to heavy cleaning and chemical cleaners better than carbon steel.

The two most common types of food grade stainless are; are 304 and 316.

Stainless steel products related to “edible” must use 304, or 316 stainless steel. While this requirement is adapted to the food industry and are usually labels as "NSF", the home cook is not bound by these standards, but many do follow them when applicable.

316 stainless steel is expensive and is used in high-end equipment such as aerospace and food machinery. 316 SS is more chemically-resistant in a variety of applications, and especially when dealing with salt and stronger acidic compounds such as lemon or tomato juice.

304 SS, is also known as “18-8” stainless steel, because it contains 18% chromium and 8% nickel. 304 is the most common stainless steel used around the world.

316 contains 16% chromium, 10% nickel and 2% molybdenum. The molybdenum is added to help resist corrosion to chlorides (like sea water and de-icing salts).

Back