St. Patricks Day Menu?

TravelingJ

is One Chatty Farker

Batch Image
Batch Image
Name or Nickame
Justin
Anyone have anything interesting on the lineup? I've been trying to plan out what I want to go with.

I can't decide if I want to go with corned beef (which would be smoked, and thus pastrami...) or a Shepards/cottage pie...or Irish meatloaf...etc. And then the sides! Colcannon looks like something I need to try. Maybe a smoked or grilled cabbage dish?

I picked up a 12# prime brisket at Costly-Co.
It's going in the brine today.
1st attempt at making corned beef from scratch. Using Alton Brown's recipe.
Not sure what all the sides will be, but cabbage and potatoes for sure.

I might be going to a Flogging Molly concert that night so might not be cooking anything, would like to get a corned beef for pastrami sometime soon though.

I have seen them a few times and even went onto their first Salty Dog Punk Rock Cruise. They put on a really good show. Have fun! Slainte!

Colcannon is something you definitely need to try. My wife and I took a cooking class on making Irish dishes years ago and colcannon was the best thing l learned about in the class. I also learned that I don’t like Irish salmon cakes!

Corned beef and cabbage isn’t Irish, but we are having it this year.

We picked up a point cut corned beef. The flat cut was on sale so we got one of those too.

Defiantly plan on buying a couple corned beefs when they go on sale later this month to make pastrami. Home made pastrami is better than a majority of the stuff you get in stores.

Guinness stew for dinner tonight while I wait for my brisket to cure in brine solution. I'm gonna smoke it for the 17th.

I cooked the stew in a Dutch oven on the stove top, but if interested, here is a video on cooking Guinness stew over an open fire (recipe in video description).

P1030998.jpg

Made a boiled corned beef point. $2.99/lb. taters, carrots & cabbage. Probably smoke the other one I bought during the week.

I think I will fire up the Gulfstream 550.fly up to NY,NY,grab a corned beef sandwich at Katz then fly on over to Dublin for a GUiness and a good rye whiskey.Ha! Nothing special here.Just another day!

Curiosity got to me, so I went on to Trip Advisor and scanned through some pubs pictures from Dublin. I only saw one corned beef dish. What I saw at every place I looked at was fish and chips, burgers, bangers and mash, and some sort of stew with mashed taters piled on top. Quite a few of them also had a dish with an egg, bacon and sausage, and always a side of baked beans, and sliced bread.

In short, I may now do fish and chips, and skip the pastrami/corned beef.

It's definitely not a traditional meal there. From what I read it's a 'bank holiday' so it's an order pizza, go out for burritos, etc.

But, having to plan a new menu each week, I like to jump on themes. It might not be accurate, but it can be fun. Like today is pot pie (with smoked chicken) for Pi day. Nothing crazy, but enough for a grin.

Back