St Louis Cut ribs vs whole spares

There are quite a few butchers around the south Atlanta area, but I have only tried T&K so far because they've treated me well and they have good prices.

I also prefer untrimmed spares. I pull the membrane off the back, slice off the thin pieces and throw them in a ziplock bag in the freezer, apply any rub I'm using and start cooking.

I like buying spares and triming them down to St. Louis cuts myself. I have the worst time with crazy crooked bones when I buy St. Louis cuts pre cut. The last St. Louis cut I got from RD had bones I swear were shaped like an "S".

I wish I knew a better way to tell about the bones.

I know what you're saying. I usually buy Smithfield St. Louis or buy fulls and trim them myself. I got some Swift Premium St. Louis cut and the bones were all jacked up. I had a helluva time slicing those.

I buy full racks because they're more economical. They are a tight fit on the drum, tho so I always trim down to st louis cuts.

I bone-out the tips, trim the big layer of rubbery connective gunk in between the layers of meat and use it for making sausage, ala here.

I guess I prefer sparerib to baby back, although, oddly, sometimes I really want to have some baby backs, and nothing else will do. I cook trimmed mostly, but, again, from time to time, I will go through the process of cooking full racks. Done well, a full rack tastes better to me.

I prefer spares over BB. Also prefer STL to save some time on the trimming but I like both.

like em both

I think they all taste great but prefer the price of full spares. I take the membrane off bc I dont like the look of it and to make sure the rub gets in underneath.

Way to save yourself five keystrokes with that winner of an abbreviation. I find it hard to imagine you are going to make it a habit to take the time to trim spares all the time when you cant find the .04seconds it would take to actually type out a real word instead of reducing it down to license plate banter. Cheers.

FULL SPARES

and avoid the heck out of baby back ribs, made from mutant pig bodies

otehrwise prefer pork ribs to beef

Back