THE BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS

Welcome to The BBQ Brethren Community. Register a free account today to become a member and see all our content. Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

gtr

somebody shut me the fark up.

Batch Image
Batch Image
Over on the Snake River Farms forum, Shane was talking about carrying short ribs. A few Brethren got to talking with srfshane about what we liked - we all talked about how we love those 3 bone racks of plate ribs. Shane did some research, which I'm sure was delicious, and agreed that the racks were a good way to go.

Now - with no prompting, announcement, or anything - Shane threw our names in a hat and pulled mine out. They sent me a sample - 2 big arse racks of shorties! :shocked: This was completely unexpected. What's great is there was the SoCal Brethren Bash coming up, and I couldn't think of a better use for these ribs than sharing them with my Brethren Brothers and Sistren.

I get home a couple/few days ago to find one of my favorite things - a big ole box from Snake River Farms/Double R Ranch. I'm getting a pretty good collection of those styrofoam coolers. Anyway - to the ribs...

The bones run from my wrist to my elbow!

IMG_4605.jpg

I trimmed 'em on Friday night - not a whole lot of work to do there, just a few minutes as they come trimmed pretty close. I like to get all the fat & silverskin off of shorties, and it didn't take long at all to get it done with these - by far the most neatly trimmed ribs out of the pack I've seen. Did I take a pic of that? No I didn't. :tsk:

I hit 'em with dalmation rub, plus a little bit of Frank-Killens (Pitmaster T recipe) on top of that then threw them in my offset, burning hickory.

In progress

IMG_4621.jpg

IMG_4622.jpg

This is around rest time. These seem to cook more quickly than regular shorties, I'm guessing that's due to the marbling. I started out at around 270, but threw 'em over to the warmer 'cause I could tell they were getting close after a few hours. I had started them a little early since I wasn't sure how the cook would go and I didn't want my fellow Brethren staring daggers at me! Better to hold then wait with cuts like this.

IMG_4634.jpg

IMG_4626.jpg

I'm hoping some of the Brethren who were here yesterday got some sliced pix. I sliced 'em so that everybody could get some, plus 1 rib would be excessive for a single serving (yeah I could do it though!) esp. given that there were so many other incredible eats there. Anyway, when I was cutting, my hands were greasy, so I didn't grab the phone/camera. Plus I was stuffing my face.

These ribs are incredible. Everybody loved 'em. Are they cheap? No. Are they seriously high quality? Yes. I could see on those occasions where you need to knock someone's socks off and you want to leave nothing to chance that employing these would do the job. Everybody was making the sexy face when they were eating these and for a while it sounded like a prono movie in my backyard with all the moans and groans.

Specifics: great beef flavor, very tender, very juicy, silky texture. As I was slicing, the grain changed directions to a vertical orientation. I turned the cut up on it's side to slice across when that happened, but I gotta say - even the cuts that wee with the grain were wonderful - no problem whatsoever there. It's just tender however you slice it. All these need is S&P, cooked till tender, and that's it. Very simple, and one of the best cuts of beef you'll have, and I'm not just saying this to be nice.

I really don't know what else to say except these are absolutely killer and I very much look forward to eating these again.

Oh - actually I do know what else to say: thanks to Shane and SRF for sliding these my way! I was already a fan of your products and this just seals the deal even further for me.

Thanks Greg for telling what many of us already know about SRF and the fine folks that run it.

I'll be trying those beef critter ribs! :thumb:

• Thanks
Reactions: gtr
Those look great, love this product from SRF (as if any of their products are not fantastic). Nice cooking too Greg, they probably looked fantastic sliced. I know how good they taste.

The crazy thing I felt, was that somehow, as they cooked, they sucked the flavor of the rub down into the meat.

• Thanks
Looking fine as frog hair! I have got to get off my arse and order from them.

• Thanks
That sucker looks more like a rib ROAST! I'm jealous, I luvs me some dino bones.

If you have a picture post cut, we'd love to see :thumb:

• Thanks
Nice work GTR! Can't think of a better event for these to be eaten at. Hope you guys had a great time! :-D

• Thanks
i am new to plate ribs, only 1 cook, but they were pretty good. at the Tx Bash htrisna made some choice ones that were awesome. i bet those srf were just on another level.

• Thanks
Looks like you did them "Racks O Beef Ribs" right! :thumb:

I had been dreaming about getting to try those and was not a happy camper when I realized my whole weekend would be overbooked and I would not get to come out and play.

Holey cowcicle, my knees are weak! Beef ribs are my favorite. :shocked:
Those ribs look amazing Greg, you cooked them up perfect too. Great job Sir! :becky:

• Thanks
Back