Square vs Round

d37fan

Is lookin for wood to cook with.
Wanting to build an offset smoker and am curious if there’s any difference in performance between a round cook chamber vs a square cook chamber? I know several use round simply because of the availability of round material. That out of the equation and all things equal, is there a difference?
Thanks for your time.

I've pondered off and on about building one myself. If using a tank with bells, I could see a square box being a bit easier to mate up to the CC.

I've seen pros for both but never that one performed better than the other.

If I had enough pipe of the right diameter, I'd go round. If I had a good tank for the CC and no firebox pipe, I'd go square.

Good luck

square offers more room, especially as you go elevated. I suppose round is easier as it's a matter of cutting holes and you can use recycled materials. I'm sure there's some voodoo with round cook chambers and airflow I dont know about

I prefer square FB's.... more room for ash droppings and log pre-heating. I'm not a fan of the griddle top feature offered with some square FB's but that is another advantage if you're looking that far down the road.

I like the fact of more space in the square CC but wonder if the smoke travels as good, or maybe gets stale around the edges. Anyway, still a ways away from actually getting to do it and just ponder things. Thanks for the input.

I’m new to stick burning but I can tell already that my oversized round firebox is better for me than a square one. No need for a fire basket or grate.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Personally, you are not that far from Kingfisher, OK so I would suggest going there and getting a big propane tank and a smaller one for the firebox.

For me, today, I'd buy a 250gallon and use my 100gallon for the firebox though, that is probably too big for any backyard smoker for a family. You can always do like me and use a 14" WSM for small cooks and the pipe smoker for mid-size cooks or go all-out with the Shirley cabinet.

Back