THE BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS

Welcome to The BBQ Brethren Community. Register a free account today to become a member and see all our content. Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

K-Train

is Blowin Smoke!
So I'm looking to experiment making a cherry rub. Cherry powder is pretty $$. Do any of you know of a good spice mill/grinder that you would recommend for making dried cherries into powder?? Thanks.

So I'm looking to experiment making a cherry rub. Cherry powder is pretty $$. Do any of you know of a good spice mill/grinder that you would recommend for making dried cherries into powder?? Thanks.
I use a cheap coffee bean grinder from Wal-mart too finely grind spices.

I think your method is what is going to be more important. Dried cherries are still usually full of moisture. You probably will end up with a paste instead of powder. I would run them through a food processor(or chop finely) and spread them out on a baking sheet. Let them dry out more, either on the counter or in a low oven, then put them in a spice grinder. Just an idea:grin:

I would use something that has a removable bowl that you can wash it. I have the Kitchen Aid, and think it is so-so. I've heard good things about both the Cuisinart and the Mr Coffee brands. I agree with SCSmoke in that it will be hard to get a powder from a dried cherry. I think pressing a fresh cherry through a sieve and dehidrating it first might yeild better results. You could also play with a food processor or blender, then maybe boild down, and then maybe pass through a sieve again? Just some thoughts.

dmp

Back