Special prize for DAL... insult or incentive?

I agree. Some competitions are only calling top 5 or even top 3 in some instances. (some ancillary categories only get 1st place called!) If you want to add additional prizes to the mix, give ribbons to 10th place for every category. After all, what does a ribbon cost?

Unfortunately in today's "PC" society someone's gonna get their feelings hurt. I wouldn't recommend it

How about this ~

Ask the teams that got DAL in each category and overall if they want to put there name in a drawing for a chance to have it drawn for a prize. Then they're only involved it they want to be. I think you would get a better response.

Just a thought.

I think that's a great idea, but I don't think it should be a monetary prize, nor a ribbon or trophy. Something along the lines of a CrockPot BBQ pit would be a good prize! LOL

Thanks! The replies here have reaffirmed my thoughts about this, it's definitely going to happen.

:laugh: just kidding.... no DAL recognition.

Just finished a contest where team numbers where down this year. One reason being that they announced DAL last year.

I have to agree with just not doing it. My goal at my first comp was not to finish DAL. Had I finished DAL and got called out for it, I may not have gone on. Forever, or at least for the short term future, the team would be recognized as the team that got the DAL award at contest xyz no matter how much they improved.
I think having a drawing for a team that finished in the bottom half would be OK, but not calling out a team that may have had some issues or just learning.

That would be salt in the wound.

Haven't had a DAL but was VERY close one time. I was so completely pissed off that I just about quit altogether. Took me 3 or 4 days before I even thought about unloading the truck. Getting the 'Consolation Prize' would have been so humiliating that I would have never shown my face ever again.

Russ

Seeing your name at the bottom of the page should be incentive enough, Being "recognized" for it would be pure humiliation.

As someone who finished DAL in my first contest and got a "special" prize announced at awards.......it sucks and I wouldn't wish it on anyone.

From what I have seen usually the team that comes in last stayed up and partied all night, got waaaay too drunk and
A. didn't start their meat until the next morning and rushed to get it done
or
B. started their meat but fell asleep and didnt wake up until 8am.

Either way they just came to party. BBQ was 2nd.
I don't think I have ever seen a team that actually tried and got last place.

Back