**SPECIAL** Discussion Thread -> "Foods of Love!" Throwdown (Entries and Quality ON TOPIC *CLEAN* Discussion Only)

Keep it and do another! This is a special TD, right?

I think it's a great entry, and judging by the creamy money shot, somebody really likes fajitas!

CREAMY MONEY SHOT!!!

Does CREAMY MONEY SHOT mean "Use this picture, Ronelle?" :-D

Cook thread for this OFFICIAL ENTRY...

Thank you :becky:

I may change my mind though, depending on what I do with the avocado, nanner and sausage...

Keep it and do another! This is a special TD, right?

This ^^^^^

It's a very SPESHUL! TD so enter as many times as you like :shock:

His And Hers Spare Ribs

Please accept this as my official entry to the "Food of Love" Throwdown.

The details can be found here.

Please use this picture as my entry shot.
DSC01597.jpg

Thanks for looking.

Boeuf Bourguignon Stew

Please accept this as an Official Entry into this Throwdown.

My wife came down sick over the weekend so I made her favorite thing to help her get better. (At least that I make) My version of Boeuf Bourguignon.

Here it is all done and coming off the kamado.

And the biscuits.

Plated shots.

Please use the picture below as my entry shot.

Superbe, Magnifque! :becky:

The complete cook thread can be seen here: http://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/showthread.php?t=181499

Taco's. It's what's for dinner.

Please acknowledge my entry in the Foods of Love Throwdown. One of my favorite foods is the beloved Taco so here is my version.

The meat of choice is a Chucky Fat Iron. I got it at the bargain bin at Food Loin.
IMG_0771_zps597a0e77.jpg

The meat needed to be rubbed and marinated before being placed in a warm spot.
IMG_0772_zps84f89722.jpg

A little fireplay.
IMG_0786_zps365252d1.jpg

Then it's the go to move. Caveman style.
IMG_0792_zps2686ddce.jpg

After that it's time for a little rest.
IMG_0797_zps028d6848.jpg

Rest time is over. All shaved up and a warm pink middle.
a23d13ab-263e-49fd-a322-c912e3a9c494_zps7d53ddd9.jpg

Shredded up some cabbage and gave it a twist of lime. This is a great topping for tacos.
IMG_0784_zps6bd10e86.jpg

Flap folded back for maximum enjoyment. Please use this as my entry pic. Thanks for looking.
bc3e4331-3b1d-4479-be20-15e029a66cab_zps7ddb2357.jpg

Please accept this Official Entry into the "Foods of Love!" TD.

This is my official entry titled, "Carol's Fifteen Year Carrot Cake!"

At some point in early 1999 I was at the street car stop with a couple of friends after a birthday celebration, one of whom was Carol. We celebrated with a grocery store carrot cake and I happened to mention I made a fantastic carrot cake from scratch. Carol was enthusiastic about it and I offered to make her one. Time marched on, Carol and I got together, finally married and every once in a while this elusive, fantastic carrot cake I bake makes it into conversation but no further. It's been about 20 years since I made a layer cake with frosting and yesterday, I smoked one! :clap2:

Some of the ingredients.

As usual, I find it impossible to follow a recipe perfectly. Instead of 3 cups of grated carrots I used 4, instead of 2 cups of white sugar I used one cup of real Demerara sugar, in addition to the cinnamon called for I added mace, ground cloves, ground allspice, freshly grated nutmeg, pinched walnuts, raisins and I substituted a cup of melted butter for the oil. Okay, I pretty much made my own recipe, just found a base to copy a flour to baking powder to baking soda ratio. :doh:

Couldn't find any of my other 9" spring form pans so substituted the second one with a cast iron skillet. Worked pretty good, I used the CI next to the deflector and it protected the cake from burning the best I've seen so far. Good to keep in mind for my next layer cake.

In the smoker.

I didn't shovel or use the snow blower to pile that much snow against the house, it all fell there or was driven by the wind. I'll dig it out before we hit melting temperatures.

Smoked carrot cakes!

Now let's make frosting.

Middle layer of frosting.

Next is the crumb coat, a thin layer of frosting that is applied and set in the fridge. I used my outdoor fridge for that, and yes, it does look like a gasser, doesn't it?

Final frosting coat and voilà, Carol's Valentine smoked carrot cake!

Please use this photo for voting.

I asked Carol the million dollar question: was it worth waiting 15 years for? She said, "YES!" :laugh:

We had our piece with fresh brewed dark roast coffee and it was great. I think the spice, vanilla and smoke flavours in the cake would have been great with my favourite bourbon but I had to drive so I won't be able to test that until tomorrow. All in all it was a delicious experiment and segue back to the world of cake making.

Thanks for looking!

Back