SPECIAL - BBQ Brethren "Memorial Day" Throwdown

IMG_5523.jpg

:shocked::shocked::shocked:

Now I know what it must look like when you walk into the light at the end of the tunnel. :mrgreen:

^^^ I'd have to agree. It was so hard to continue cooking after that, but the people spoke and I had to listen. Incidentally, those are your "pulled ends" Al.

This began with a pair of chickens. I rubbed them down and seasoned them up with some Foil Hat.

IMG_5486.jpg

Then I put them to smoke at about 375*. I also added 3 pounds of garlic and EVOO on the top layer.

IMG_5489.jpg

While those were cooking, I whipped up some cake batter:

IMG_5495.jpg

and made some Sienna cakes:

IMG_5505.jpg

IMG_5506.jpg

and a grape cake to use up some grapes on their way to being raisins

IMG_5515.jpg

The garlic and chicken came out beautiful:

IMG_5492.jpg

IMG_5491.jpg

I packed the garlic away in jars and pulled the chicken

IMG_5502.jpg

About midnight, Gore and I were sitting having a drink by the fire the kids all fast asleep and we started talking about food (people on diets shouldn't do that). It turned out that Gore was craving chicken enchiladas. I decided to make him some flat enchiladas using corn tortilla chips. We used two layers. This is the top layer:

IMG_5546.jpg

Chips and meat -- there was also some pulled beef in the fridge (it turned out that's what I was craving) that I put on the other half. Luckily, I found some frozen enchilada sauce I made a while back:

IMG_5547.jpg

and we decided to cover with green chiles

IMG_5548.jpg

and some sharp cheddar cheese, then melted away:

IMG_5551.jpg

We ate these out on the patio with a couple San Pedros (silver tequila, Cointreau, and a couple dashes of grapefruit bitters with a twist). This was soooo not on the diet :nono:

IMG_5556a.jpg

Thanks for looking!

Out here, we'd call that, Nachos....but I think everybody would call that delicious.

The only real distinction is the enchilada sauce. These are essentially flat enchiladas (where the tortilla is not rolled). We didn't have any corn tortillas lying about, so we used chips instead. They can be nachos with enchilada sauce or flat enchiladas made with tortilla chips. Either way, they hit the spot. :thumb:

That is a BEAUTIFUL steak. Just reminded me that I have two more ribeyes that should be coming out of the fridge. You're showing that pic, because you're bringing that over with the salmon, right? ... uh, right? :-D

Been gone a few years but checking in to enjoy all of your cooks. Fantastic!!!
Not going to start today's cook (my traditional teriyaki tri tip) but I have a couple pics from yesterday's BBQ pizza fest.
ImageUploadedByTapatalk1338240767.791758.jpg I don't use a stone so I cook my homemade dough before we add the toppings.

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1338240868.385170.jpgthis is the first time that I made some calzones along with the pizzas.

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1338240936.765256.jpg finished calzone.

Thus is always great family fun! Grand kids go nuts making theirs.

Back