SPECIAL -> BBQ Brethren "Happy Holidays 2012" Throwdown!

MS2SB -- love your ham, I think it's the best ham I've ever seen. I don't like those pink ones from the grocery store but what you've done is something I could get my head around. Congratulations.

Pinkelephant -- You smoked 24 chickens at once? Holy smokes, that is impressive. Great Christmas present, too, I bet those on the receiving end were thrilled. They look delicious!

Foulxmas04-1.jpg

There is a Man who knows a fine BBQ and Beverage. Best kept secret around. ;D

MS2SB -- love your ham, I think it's the best ham I've ever seen. I don't like those pink ones from the grocery store but what you've done is something I could get my head around. Congratulations.

Pinkelephant -- You smoked 24 chickens at once? Holy smokes, that is impressive. Great Christmas present, too, I bet those on the receiving end were thrilled. They look delicious!
It went over great. One problem with building a rep is living up to it every time you feed someone. luckily my UDSs are keeping me out of trouble

On a little ski trip and our internet connection is not so speedy.

I'll took more pics but won't have time to post them. So this year Santa really wanted a gyro. I thought he was a little crazy but what are you going to do with Santa when he wants something?

We started out with lamb steaks that we ground up. We added a ton of spices that I can't begin to remember and then mixed that all up with onion and garlic to make something of a lamb paste. I put that all in the fridge overnight and then made my gyro skewer thingy.

It all turned out better than it should have and I'll be doing this again.

IMG_4188_zps3c416b55.jpg

IMG_4191_zpsc60e77e3.jpg

IMG_4196_zps571f0f2f.jpg

IMG_4208_zps1b8ac3b4.jpg

Thanks for looking. It was a very Merry Christmas and Santa cleaned his plate.

Last edited:
Soul of the Gypsy Queen Voodoo soup! Now yer talkin'!! That looks so nutritious and comforting and delicious, two bowls for our house, please. Sweet red peppers, too, mmmmm.

I just saw this and figured I'd enter my piggy for the Happy Holidays 2012 TD - I'll use the post I put up in Qtalk. I was gonna strip down the post to just the cooking of the pig, but the whole thing really was all about a fun gathering so I left the post intact. Plus it was easier to do that. :twisted:

Here goes:

I got a 58# pig the other day. I (actually we - my awesome neighbor Roland came over at 4:30 am to help) stuck a wood chunk in his mouth so we could get the apple in later. It took both of us to pry the mouth open and get the chunk in. I rubbed the inside of the pig with kosher salt, pepper, and garlic powder. I figured I'd keep it simple my first time out and I'm glad I did - I'll probably stick to the simple approach for a while.

Photo1-105.jpg

I think bigabyte may have gotten to him.

Photo1-99.jpg

He fit real good in my beloved Klose. Next time I'm gonna try and 80#er and see how that fits.

Photo1-100.jpg

I cooked 225-250 for a few hours, starting with the hams toward the firebox at 5:30 am. I used hickory throughout the cook.

photo-127.jpg

At 8:30 am we spun the critter 180 degrees and cooked a few more hours - I backed down temps to 200-225 'cause the hams were - well I don't remember what the temps were, but it seemed like a good idea to slow things down a bit.

Photo1-101.jpg

At 11:30 we spun it again and went back to cooking at 225-250. I noticed a difference in doneness not only from the front and back of the pig, but also from the left to the right - nothing to worry about, just something to pay attention to. I was feeling pretty good when we took him out at around 3:30 for a total cook time of 10 hours. I think the IT was somewhere around 180, and it was definitely probe tender.

Photo1-109.jpg

Since it was a party and all, I figured he'd wanna dress up a little bit while he rested for about an hour.

photo-124.jpg

Photo1-104.jpg

I was feeling really good about things when I cut the skin back (next few pics were taken by a friend). The meat was pretty much all pullable. We got pretty close to 2 full pans of meat.

picture.php

picture.php

Who among us doesn't love a little head?

picture.php

I think I know what I wanna be for Halloween next year. :tsk:

picture.php

It takes a long time to take a pig apart, which was something that never occurred to me until I was in the middle of doing it. Luckily there were Brethren nearby, and Marty (Campdude) threw some gloves on and got down to business (I don't have a pic of that - my hands were a little greasy!). Marty also brought tortillas and a couple of awesome salsas, which I put over some ribs and ate today - seriously good eats right there! He also brought a couple of pies that disappeared instantly. :shocked:

Photo1-102.jpg

Ray (Silverfinger) and his crew came over & our kids all got to running around and having fun. :thumb: Ray brought some bacon fried rice that knocked everybody's socks off - off the farkin chain! :clap:

Matt (Enkidu), his wife and unbelievably cute 8 month old son came over as well, and his smoked mac & cheese was crazy good and big hit. His bro Chris, another Brethren (browna65) and his lovely lady came as well.

We had a lot of folks come over who brought a lot of great food, and the Brethren stood proud in a very strong field of delicious eats! It was really nice to meet you guys in person and I really look forward to seeing you guys again. I can honestly say that all the Brethren I've met in person are some seriously cool farkers. :thumb: Thanks for the great grub and the help y'all! :clap2:

It was a great party and the pig was farking delicious and tender - I'm chalking it up to beginner's luck. I can't wait to do it again. I was surprised at how well the smoke flavor got in the pig - much better than I expected.

I gotta give props to the knowledgeable and lovely Jeanie (cowgirl), who gave the final approval of my pig cooking plan as well as the inspiration for cooking a pig in the first place. :clap2: I can't wait to cook another one - and next time I'm gonna learn a little more about taking a pig apart - I kinda just pulled this one apart. I'm sure there's a good method I'm unaware of = but the meat got et, and that's what's really important! :hungry:

I'm making pork stock with the bones right now and it smells really good.

Thanks for looking!

This is the shot I want to use for the vote thread:

photo-124.jpg

gtr -- Thanks for recording your wonderful bash and posting it for the rest of the brethren to see. What fun, I wish I wasn't so far away, I'd invite myself next time. I love the layers of brethren support for your cook from online to the 'in the moment' planting wood wedges, turning the pig and pulling the meat. Instead of being an overwhelming job for one it was a party for many. Yahoo! I loved hearing about the fantastic rice and the delicious salsa, too. Excellent post!

Last edited:
  • Thanks
Reactions: gtr
I grilled up some wings and enjoyed the lovely weather - I know the pics are late but what the hay it's a new year

I wanted to keep the photos in this quote but they wouldn't oblige. gsmith, those photos say volumes about why we're happy to be outside cooking in the quiet with a little 'nip and tuck'. It's amazing fun to be out there rockin' with friends and family but otherwise the quiet times you're alone with the smells and the fire and the quiet in the dark, it's like sitting and chatting with our profound side. Wings look delicious.

I wanted to keep the photos in this quote but they wouldn't oblige. gsmith, those photos say volumes about why we're happy to be outside cooking in the quiet with a little 'nip and tuck'. It's amazing fun to be out there rockin' with friends and family but otherwise the quiet times you're alone with the smells and the fire and the quiet in the dark, it's like sitting and chatting with our profound side. Wings look delicious.

I couldn't agree more - well said :clap:

the pic that's missing is my mutt running through the snow trying to find her ball regardless how bad her "brain freeze" gets - she won't give up :crazy: :grin:

Back