Spares and Loin Backs

KevinJ

somebody shut me the fark up.
Haven't cooked Loin Back or Baby Back Ribs in probably 2 years if not longer, decided to pickup a rack as well as a rack of Spares, the plan was to cook these on the grate at 275 for 4hrs (give or take). I actually thought the Loin Backs would finish first but the Spares cooked quicker, I will say the Spares were the smallest rack in the cooler to chose from but they didn't have a lot of surface fat compared to the other racks and some of the best marbling I've seen other than in Duroc Spares.

Both were cooked dry, seasoned the Loin Backs with Eat Barbecue Zero to Hero and the Spares were seasoned with course Sea Salt and course Black Pepper (Texas style). Cooked them for 2.5hrs then wrapped both in BP for an hour and was planning on finishing them for 30min unwrapped. They were both ready to pull when I was ready to unwrap so I pulled both and let them rest on the counter for 10min then held in the oven wrapped in BP at 150 until ready to serve.

My wife asked me if I was going to glaze/sauce any of the racks and I said no but if I ever cook Loin Backs or Baby Backs again I think I will put on a glaze. They were toothpick tender with a good bite but I thought they were still dry, everyone else thought they were great. The Spares with just S&P I thought were awesome they were a little over cooked (wish I would have pulled them 15min earlier) because they were fall off the bone but they weren't dry and the simple seasoning let the taste of the rib meat shine through.

Can't say that I will never cook Loin Backs again but it will probably be awhile, the next time I cook spares I will probably do one rack with S&P and another with a Pork Rub just to see which one I like best.

Sorry for the fuzzy plate pic 2 ribs on the left were Spare and the 2 on the Right were Loin Backs.

JjU9Aay.jpg

Yep- anymore I get the smallest BB's possible and keep em wet. And that's if The Bride requests them. Otherwise it's Spares. BB's-to me --they're dry as pork chops. Nothing against chops- just not what I looking for when cooking bb's.

And that plate of food looks perfect

Last edited:
Looks great. I only buy loin backs when they are super cheap, and use them often for faux mcribs. Over sauced and over cooked on purpose.

Haven't cooked Loin Back or Baby Back Ribs in probably 2 years if not longer, decided to pickup a rack as well as a rack of Spares, the plan was to cook these on the grate at 275 for 4hrs (give or take). I actually thought the Loin Backs would finish first but the Spares cooked quicker, I will say the Spares were the smallest rack in the cooler to chose from but they didn't have a lot of surface fat compared to the other racks and some of the best marbling I've seen other than in Duroc Spares.

Both were cooked dry, seasoned the Loin Backs with Eat Barbecue Zero to Hero and the Spares were seasoned with course Sea Salt and course Black Pepper (Texas style). Cooked them for 2.5hrs then wrapped both in BP for an hour and was planning on finishing them for 30min unwrapped. They were both ready to pull when I was ready to unwrap so I pulled both and let them rest on the counter for 10min then held in the oven wrapped in BP at 150 until ready to serve.

My wife asked me if I was going to glaze/sauce any of the racks and I said no but if I ever cook Loin Backs or Baby Backs again I think I will put on a glaze. They were toothpick tender with a good bite but I thought they were still dry, everyone else thought they were great. The Spares with just S&P I thought were awesome they were a little over cooked (wish I would have pulled them 15min earlier) because they were fall off the bone but they weren't dry and the simple seasoning let the taste of the rib meat shine through.

Can't say that I will never cook Loin Backs again but it will probably be awhile, the next time I cook spares I will probably do one rack with S&P and another with a Pork Rub just to see which one I like best.

Sorry for the fuzzy plate pic 2 ribs on the left were Spare and the 2 on the Right were Loin Backs.

JjU9Aay.jpg
If someone brings me some loin backs or baby backs to cook, fine. There is usually a bottle of BBQ sauce in the frig, or I can come up with a rub combination with added fat and sugar to compensate for the leanness. Otherwise, especially when my time is figured in, whole spares all the way. When it comes down to basics, I prefer the taste of pork, not the spices or whatever it takes to give flavor to loin meat.

I only smoke baby loin backs and been that way for 5 or 6 years. I get the Swifts Premium ribs from Costco. They are 3 to a Cryovac and the membrane is already removed. They have a good amount of loin meat left on them.

I cook them at 260-275* naked for 3 hours and they usually have a pretty good bend at that point. I glaze/sauce them twice for 15 minutes each time. I rest them on the counter for about 30 minutes and they are ready to serve.

The temp and time leave them very moist, good flavor and with a slight tug from the bone. My friends and family really like them and I couldn't ask for them to be any better.

Spares for me too. Loin backs just seem dryer and leaner to me. Wife prefers them though

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Wow, delicious looking plate. I like them all, prefer spares and St Louis cut over B-Backs, I have managed to cook some great B-Backs. The mildly enhanced B-Backs seem to come off better than the natural ones and are not as hammy as the ones that have the higher percentage of sodium solution. The pork I have been getting lately is the Smithfield Extra Tender listed at 2% solution.

Last edited:
Baby Back/ Loin Back/ Spare Ribs

While I agree with comments that include "small" and "dry," many years ago I too was stung by holiday specials at chain super markets, advertising baby back ribs. My family and friends are accustomed to my Loin Back pork ribs, very thick and meaty, sourced from quality butcher shops which buy Midwestern pork. Credit here goes to Tip Top Meats (Carlsbad), Harvest Ranch Market (Encinitas), Iowa Meat Farms (San Diego), Siesel's Meats (San Diego).

We seem to be a 50/50 family. We could take either. However, when we are in the mood for BB's, we season with good ol S&P. When we cook spares, we play with different rubs. I remember as a kid sitting around the campfire nawing on a bone, which usually came from a spare rib. Good times.

Great looking grub Kevin.

Back