THE BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS

Welcome to The BBQ Brethren Community. Register a free account today to become a member and see all our content. Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

smokeisgood

is one Smokin' Farker
For those Southern Q owners, if you bought the Limo Jr., do you wish you had the capacity of the limo, or if you bought a Limo do you wish you had the footprint of a Jr.? I've always been in the bigger is better camp, but looking at these two smokers, the price between them, and configurations, and I am debating whether to buy a Limo with an extra rack, or a Jr. with several extra racks (for ribs). Hard to really tell anything about size from pictures and videos, so I thought I'd seek some real life opinions? I mostly cook in pans, so I don't like a crowded pit, but I also quit competing several years ago so it's mostly backyard parties these days.

I have a Limo (which is for sale because I need to start clearing out stuff as we plan to downsize houses) and it is a great cooker. Each shelf is approx 24 x 48 ( I can measure is you want me to) so it can hold a lot of food. I used mine for competitions and never filled it to capacity, but I would imagine that you coule easily fir 12 racks of ribs per chelf, maybe more.

I have the Jr. and the size is great for me. But I am mostly just cooking for my family and some smaller gatherings. It can handle proteins for a larger gathering though.

If you do need more space, I’d suggest getting two Limo Jr’s over one Limo unless you can find a nice well kept used one like Ron L has. Cost wise would be roughly the same, except you would have to have two temp controllers. Two would give you the flexibility to cook at different temps, and the size of the Jr. is much more manageable pushing around than the standard Limo. You could start with one Jr. and add another if needed.

I have the Jr. and the size is great for me. But I am mostly just cooking for my family and some smaller gatherings. It can handle proteins for a larger gathering though.

If you do need more space, I’d suggest getting two Limo Jr’s over one Limo unless you can find a nice well kept used one like Ron L has. Cost wise would be roughly the same, except you would have to have two temp controllers. Two would give you the flexibility to cook at different temps, and the size of the Jr. is much more manageable pushing around than the standard Limo. You could start with one Jr. and add another if needed.

That's a good point. I know the Jr. will hold all the briskets and port butts I would ever need to cook at once, where I struggle is having guys over (I have friends across the country who come in for a cigar/bourbon weekend every now and then) when they want ribs. I'm thinking now maybe a Jr. with an extra rack or 2 would solve that problem for half the money.

It sounds like the Jr might be the right size for your needs as rib capacity can easily be increased in cabinet smokers.

If you hang the ribs you can fit 12-15 racks in a Limo Jr.

They also make rib racks to replace the grates. Each of those hold 5 or 6 racks and your can fit 4 racks I believe.

Yes, you can fit a bunch of ribs in it if you hang, or use rib racks. Scott will build you whatever you want. I have six slides in mine and 4 racks. I doubt if I’ll ever need more than the 4 racks, but buying a couple more for the ribs is pretty cheap.

Yes, you can fit a bunch of ribs in it if you hang, or use rib racks. Scott will build you whatever you want. I have six slides in mine and 4 racks. I doubt if I’ll ever need more than the 4 racks, but buying a couple more for the ribs is pretty cheap.

Not a fan of hanging or using rib racks. What spacing did you wind up with your slides? I have decided on 4 racks, but may add a couple of extra slides like you did so I can move the racks around.

Limo Jr is plenty of capacity for me. I have 3 racks in it. I cook for friends, family, the neighborhood sometimes. Not sure if you saw the thread I created, but I tried to add a bunch of pics to help others with the choices.

https://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/showthread.php?t=289955

I did see your thread and studied it. On page 2, my first thought when looking inside the cooker was "What the freak is going on with the top shelf?" as it doesn't look level, then I realized there is something about the angle of the photo that just makes even the top of the smoker look off. I assume they are level. I'll have to talk to Scott when I order though, because I saw a picture of some guys Assassin that had 4 shelves in it. 3 of them had the expanded wire running one direction, the other had it running the opposite direction. That photo still keeps my OCD butt up at night....... Question though, why did you have him install a drip shelf on the door? Is that a problem area? I wouldn't think there'd be anything dripping on the door? Do I need one?

Last edited:
Not a fan of hanging or using rib racks. What spacing did you wind up with your slides? I have decided on 4 racks, but may add a couple of extra slides like you did so I can move the racks around.

The racks are evenly spaced in between the existing racks (or above the exiting rack.

Here is s post showing some pictures of my Limo Jr.

https://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/showthread.php?t=288854&highlight=limo

Not the best pictures, but you can see the spacing a little. I went with stainless racks also.

If I remember later I will try and snap a few more pictures of the spacing.

Nice, I would love to order mine in Hunter Green, but since our house is white brick with black accents, the boss says it has to be black. (She wants flat, I say gloss, and I'm putting my foot down, so we compromised on gloss black.) Do you remember what he charged to upgrade to the SS shelves? I had him quote an extra shelf for the Limo, but haven't talked to him about the Jr., and didn't ask about the SS. I believe I will go with the same setup you have there, 6 sliders, 4 shelves. How do straight wire shelves compare to expanded metal when setting briskets or pork butts directly on them. They don't sag between the rails do they? I usually cook in pans, but just wondered. I also noticed your grab bar is different than what is shown on the website. Is that an upgrade?

I can't remember the cost of the stainless upgrade, but it was reasonable. The website shows older pics. The wheels are larger now, with a shorter leg and no shelf. I have the standard wheels, and cclinard1 has the upgraded turf wheels. The grab bar is standard. I also had him put a travel latch on the door besides just the slam latch.

As for your question on the drip shelf. Most cabinet style smokers can have this added on or come standard with one. These smokers are moist inside, especially loaded with meat. I didn't get it in mine like cclinard1 did on his. Mine does leak a little liquid out the front. That would be really the only change I would make on my Limo is add that drip shelf. Its not a big deal though, just a little more cleanup.

I did see your thread and studied it. On page 2, my first thought when looking inside the cooker was "What the freak is going on with the top shelf?" as it doesn't look level, then I realized there is something about the angle of the photo that just makes even the top of the smoker look off. I assume they are level. I'll have to talk to Scott when I order though, because I saw a picture of some guys Assassin that had 4 shelves in it. 3 of them had the expanded wire running one direction, the other had it running the opposite direction. That photo still keeps my OCD butt up at night....... Question though, why did you have him install a drip shelf on the door? Is that a problem area? I wouldn't think there'd be anything dripping on the door? Do I need one?

Yea iPhone 11 Pro lenses do that on some photos. They're all level. The door does get some condensation on it and I'm glad I had him add it. He did it at no cost and it doesn't impact the space. I just spent a lot revamping my patio and didn't want any chance of drip. I'd say add it.

What is the charcoal capacity of the Limo Jr.? I can't find any details on it.

No clue. It will burn for roughly 12 hours set at 225, less for higher temps, but environmental factors come into play also. It’s simple to keep it running for as long as you want though ( I think all the gravity fed smokers you list will be). Just dump more charcoal in. The firebox ash pot will need to be dumped periodically on these gravity fed models. I keep a bushel galvanized container just below the firebox and periodically dump the ash pot into the container using some channel locks.

What is the charcoal capacity of the Limo Jr.? I can't find any details on it.

I’d say about 13-14lbs. If I dump a new 16lb bag of RO all natural in, there isn’t much left. Just checking the Fireboard from my last brisket cook...went 11hrs 47mins startup to shutdown at 275. Temp began to drop about 10hr 30min mark. I ran until the chute was empty just to see how far it would go.

Back