South of the Border BBQ

Have fun guys... I'll have to make the next gathering here if the place is good. My schedule is booked.

Three day work conference this week (just got home 1/2 hr ago for today's session then back at 7AM)... Going to Lake George in the Adirondacks this weekend for a belated anniversary with my wife. Then next week I will be in Springfield, MA from Mon after to Thursday for a trade show.

Gee so we'll see you in June or July....lol, ps happy anniversary:biggrin:

Next Wed works for me:lol:

Happy Anniversary Vinny.

So, Wednesday, 5/21, 6:30-7:00 pm with Chris and Fred showing up 'round 8:00???????

I think barfly might of had a few to many margaritas the night he went.Went for dinner with Laura and the kids this evening. Easiest way to sum it up...IT SUCKED!!!!!!! I am definitely not going next Wed and do not recommend anybody else to. I will give a full report tomorrow. Very disappointed. Had some bad experiences in the past but never have I left a restaurant with a feeling of just getting ripped off.Well other than Freedom BBQ in Island Park

I think barfly might of had a few to many margaritas the night he went.Went for dinner with Laura and the kids this evening. Easiest way to sum it up...IT SUCKED!!!!!!! I am definitely not going next Wed and do not recommend anybody else to. I will give a full report tomorrow. Very disappointed. Had some bad experiences in the past but never have I left a restaurant with a feeling of just getting ripped off.

Thanks Sled... That's called... "taking one for the team".

Kind of like going on a double date and having your buddy keep the ugly friend occupied while you try to get in good with the cute one.

Thanks Sled... That's called... "taking one for the team".

Kind of like going on a double date and having your buddy keep the ugly friend occupied while you try to get in good with the cute one.
I think everybody that was going should give me $20 each for taking one for the team and saving them the time, money for crap food as well as gas:biggrin: .

I think barfly might of had a few to many margaritas the night he went.Went for dinner with Laura and the kids this evening. Easiest way to sum it up...IT SUCKED!!!!!!! I am definitely not going next Wed and do not recommend anybody else to. I will give a full report tomorrow. Very disappointed. Had some bad experiences in the past but never have I left a restaurant with a feeling of just getting ripped off.Well other than Freedom BBQ in Island Park

few to many goes without saying... which place you talking about sled, the new bbq joint one or the mexican place on wantagh ave?

I think everybody that was going should give me $20 each for taking one for the team and saving them the time, money for crap food as well as gas:biggrin: .

I think I owe you $20 for the image of Chris's face with the WTF did I do look:wink::lol::icon_cool

I think I owe you $20 for the image of Chris's face with the WTF did I do look:wink::lol::icon_cool

nah.... if not for that then definately for some other screw-up yet unknown.....

So, let's not go to the one that Sled tried, but rather the one on Wantagh avenue that Chris tried.
How's that sound everybody?
Maybe Sled will treat everyone.

So, let's not go to the one that Sled tried, but rather the one on Wantagh avenue that Chris tried.
How's that sound everybody?
Maybe Sled will treat everyone.
They left such a bad taste in my mouth I do not want to even go their other joint. They have stolen enough of my money. As far as Tex Mex or Mexican i know this might sound crazy but i only like the "on the border" franchise joint in hicksville. Cheap good food and plentiful.

The place is really well done & has a very nice interior that resembles an old Mexican cantina. Dim lighting and french doors open in the front toward the parking lot. We started off with chicken wings(7.95). The were fried probably the day before and just slightly reheated doused with an orange sauce with no heat and little flavor. I ordered the 3 rib sampler. A little bit steep at $33.95 but it came with 1/2 rack each of st louis, baby back, & beef ribs and 2 sides I ordered sweet potato fries & mac n cheese. I asked for it all dry. Steven ordered a 2 meat platter of pulled pork & brisket (18.95) with mashed potato & fries. Laura ordered the chicken fajita. The ribs came out uncut and all 3 piled on top of each each other. The beef ribs were beef back ribs, the st louis were not trimmed to well , lots of rib tips and the baby back looked fine. Very dark rub. First bite DRY DRY DRY.All 3 were extremely dry. The rub had no flavor. The beef ribs were tough.The sauce on the side they brought out was cookshack mild which to me looked and tasted like cambells tomato soup. It did not help the ribs. Stevens pulled pork & brisket(very small portion) was dry as well the pulled pork looked grey was dry and no flavor the brisket slices had a sliver of a smoke ring at the top and were very dry as well. The fajita looked good but the chicken was bone dry. Chris only ordered corn bread and loved it. My sweet potato fries were raw. The mac n cheese was like eating sand. The only good thing on the whole table were Stevens regular french fries. The kitchen was very clean and had a cookshack, i could not see a model, the control panel was on the top it was a stainless cabinet box about 5 feet tall.The one positive about the place is the service by the wait staff. The knew little about BB but were very attentive. It might be a bit harsh but for the money I spent and quality I received I recommend avoiding this place

Last edited:
Back