THE BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS

Welcome to The BBQ Brethren Community. Register a free account today to become a member and see all our content. Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

darita

is Blowin Smoke!
I just watched a vid on holding a brisket for 10+ hours in a warming oven at 160*. I was wondering if one could use a Sous Vide in a cooler at 160*. The food would remain safe at that temp, right? Is this a common practice?

SV works great for reheating, so I don't know why not. I'd be curious about the bark. Are you talking about moving a wrapped brisket into a zipper bag, or putting only the brisket in a bag?

A roaster oven works fine for hot holding. They have a 'circle of heat' meaning the element is in the side walls, not the bottom. Check out the Oster 22 Qt. The dial has markings as low as 150°. One reviewer said the inside dimensions are Length:19.89", Height: 5.31", Width: 13.98".

I’d be putting butcher wrapping and all in a bag, then into the bath. I was thinking of ways to hold at those temps and I happen to have a SV.

How low does your oven go? SV reheat/hold does impact the bark, it's a small but acceptable loss for me when I cook days or more in advance and reheat the day of, but even with a 10 hour hold I'd still consider that "cook and eat" and would probably try to hold it in such a way to preserve the "just cooked" aspect of it. My .02

The turkey roasters are pretty affordable though, most were around $50 when I was looking at them. I get the "I already have a tool" aspect though.

Don't do it. Your oven works well for reheating. Meat wrapped in towels around the meat in foil in a cooler works to hold meat for a surprisingly long time. SV is needlessly cumbersome IMHO - and I love my sous vide. Moreover, juice liquid in the bag will wash off/soften your bark possibly undoing your hard work in the smoker.

Moreover, juice liquid in the bag will wash off/soften your bark possibly undoing your hard work in the smoker.

There will be little to no juice in the bag if the brisket was cooked 10-20 degrees above the sous vide water temp.

For example, if OP cooked his brisket to 205F or w/e and he wrapped in BP, then sous vide bag and held it at 160F, barely any juices would come out.

There will be little to no juice in the bag if the brisket was cooked 10-20 degrees above the sous vide water temp.

For example, if OP cooked his brisket to 205F or w/e and he wrapped in BP, then sous vide bag and held it at 160F, barely any juices would come out.

How long can you hold the brisket at 160° without it turning into mush?

I'm asking this because in the video, the chef said he was following what a couple of great BBQ places around him told him they do, which is, they hold briskets in a warmer, at 160, for at least 10 hours before serving. That's what they attributed the brisket's juiciness and tenderness. Since I don't have a warmer, but do have a SV, I thought...

I'm asking this because in the video, the chef said he was following what a couple of great BBQ places around him told him they do, which is, they hold briskets in a warmer, at 160, for at least 10 hours before serving. That's what they attributed the brisket's juiciness and tenderness. Since I don't have a warmer, but do have a SV, I thought...

I will say this I have rested brisket overnight and I thought the texture was a little weird the meat also is brown and you don't really see a smoke ring anymore. It was definitely juicy but I just don't like the texture of it. I don't recommend allowing a brisket to rest over 8 hours I think it's total Overkill

I think the thermal dynamics of a water bath versus a humid air controlled hold will not replicate similar results. I could be wrong.

I actually bought a cheap(ish) holding oven for just this reason and love it.

https://www.amazon.com/HeatMax-Comm...&keywords=holding+oven&qid=1628604799&sr=8-13

Back