THE BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS

Welcome to The BBQ Brethren Community. Register a free account today to become a member and see all our content. Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

lunchman

is One Chatty Farker

Batch Image
Batch Image
Name or Nickame
Dom
Sorry, or thankfully, no songs that go with this cook. :wink:

What to do with a weekend sourdough feeding and homemade Pesto that needs to be used? Marry them together into:

Sourdough Pesto Rollups of course!

I found a recipe and started on the dough yesterday after feeding my starter. The recipe used nothing but wheat flour which I don't like doing since it yields a weird dough consistency. So I went half AP flour, half wheat flour which was still too much wheat. I prefer using no more than 20% but my baking intellect didn't prevail. Sometimes stupidity wins out.

The dough yesterday -

9JxQnMW.jpg

I let it sit overnight in the fridge, wasn't happy with the consistency this morning after coming to room temp. I added two tablespoons of milk, cheated with some instant yeast and let it proof for another hour. The recipe uses milk, butter, sugar, salt and the sourdough starter.

Now, being a bit too sticky I remembered a YouTube video from Richard Bertinet to get this dough into shape. The slap and fold technique. I wish I'd taken some video but it was highly rewarding smacking this dough onto the counter and folding it for about 10 minutes. Really lets you get out your aggressions! :mrgreen: Perhaps playing The 1812 Overture during this would have been appropriate.

Slamming the dough onto the counter greatly improved the texture and I was easily able to roll it out without any resistance -

9JxQnMW.jpg

cdm1lgc.jpg

cqBqMwB.jpg

RfAO1ez.jpg

Let it proof for another hour or so and they're ready for the oven -

Qa5gxxK.jpg

After baking -

AN1HyQg.jpg

Served for lunch today with some leftover chili -

zi5Txof.jpg

8Zk3n6h.jpg

l40Dqxf.jpg

These were quite good, the Pesto shined through. I would have preferred all AP flour, the wheat didn't seem to add much to these rolls. These would go well with soup or stew and of course went perfectly with today's chili.

As always, thanks for checking out this thread.

Regards,
-lunchman

Back