THE BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS

Welcome to The BBQ Brethren Community. Register a free account today to become a member and see all our content. Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Let dad have his fun!!!

Hey guys,

I am browsing the Newbie threads but figured I would ask here for some quick tips, my Dad is the grill master among our family and he is currently on the road and coming back fathers day afternoon.

Sad to say but I have not really watched his setup process so I have no clue what I am doing.

I want to surprise him with some smoked ribs, I will use his Weber Smokey Mountain 22 1/2 smoker along with his cyberq wifi for temp monitor.

I am planning on going to a local pig farm to gets some fresh ribs.

I am looking for a good recipe and cook temps, I think I want to go hot and fast and I am not sure of the charcoal setup (how to lay it out), so if any brethren want to lend any advice it would be much appreciated.

Thanks,
John

I agree with those brethren saying to buy him meat. Step away from the smoker. He will love getting some high dollar grass-finished beef or a wagyu steak.
Your heart is in the right place! Your skills are not. Let him do it. He will love to cook for yall...especially when he doesn't have to pay!!!

I'd certainly use a traditional rub - don't add any extra variables that might screw up an otherwise good cook. 9 racks is a lot to risk.

My first smoke was just 4 lbs of chicken thighs, which I ruined with a bad choice of rubs. Just sayin'...

All In

I'm all in guys! I fit 4 racks on bottom and used a rack her for top and fit the remaining 5. I have some chicken marinating just in case.

You are right, 9 racks is a lot to screw up but only one way to learn. I stuck with my recipe, it didn't smell so weird after all. I will post more pics later.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    95.4 KB · Views: 92
Can't wait to see the finished product and hear all the great things. Just remember not to rush things. Wait for the bend/tug test before pulling them off. Q on! I wish my kids would do this for me. Or better yet. I wish they would just join me in Q'en.

Success

Well, what can I say....I admit I did use a bit too much rub, not way over baring but a pinch too much. Nobody complained or scraped off so I guess thats just me.

I was worried big time because at 2 1/2 hrs they were pretty cooked, I removed from WSM and wrapped in foil and placed in cooler until 30 min before eating time, then put back on WSM which was holding at 235, then at 1o minutes put the sauce on.

At the same time I BBQ'd the chicken breasts that was marinating all night in a Korean BBQ marinade. I had my sister make our baked macaroni family recipe that is delicious and we had garlic bread too.

My Dad was super impressed and just overall happy that I took on the challenge and I did the work. I have a much better appreciation for the people who put the time in to prepare this awesome food!

Although they were slightly overcooked, my buddy that was there and the rest of my family actually preferred them that way. They were not dry but fall off the bone rather than a little tug.

Dad is happy, wife loved the ribs, family loved it, I loved it so I would say the first time was a success. Of course thanks to the advice here on the brethren, thank you fellow brethren

John

Attachments

• IMG_1457.jpg
    IMG_1457.jpg
    92.8 KB · Views: 42
  • IMG_1462.jpg
    IMG_1462.jpg
    83.9 KB · Views: 42
  • IMG_1468.jpg
    IMG_1468.jpg
    64.6 KB · Views: 42
Back