Sometimes Smoking is so Frustrating

kgrigio

Knows what a fatty is.
I have been really struggling lately with the timing of my smokes. Smokes where I think something will take 8-9 hours end up taking 12-14 hours. Other smokes where I think will take 12-14 hours end up taking 8-9 hours.

Last Sunday I smoked a pork butt that I thought for sure I had plenty of time for the cook with a couple of hours of rest in my cooler with my warming pillow ended needing to be pulled off just before being done. It still turned out good, but it could have used another hour. In all, it was smoking for 12 hours with a majority of the temp being at 270.

The last time I smoked a brisket it took 17 hours so I threw a brisket on last night at 10, thinking it would be done and rested and ready to eat between 5-6 tonight. I woke up at 4 for work and it was already measuring 170, so I wrapped it and put it back on and by 9:30 it was done. The smoker was no more than 235 the whole time. Now the brisket is sitting in my cooler with my warming pillow, hoping it stays hot enough to make it to dinner.

I can handle an hour or two of variation, but these massive 6-hour swings really hurt from the food prep standpoint. Any thoughts?

I see you have 2xuds! Congrats man! Time to cook hot and fast. Briskets in no more than 4.5-5 hrs. Same with pulled pork. Ribs done in 2.5! You will have to inject and get a spray bottle ready but that’s the beauty of hot and fast. Set a bark, and break apart collagen. That’s all bbq is

Check your thermometers. It seems like a pretty wide variance in times. In my past Butt's have taken roughly an hour per # @ 275ish. I cook 14ish# briskets pre trim for around 17 hrs but that is 10-11 hours @ 185* and never wrapping.

Get a Turkey roaster and you can hold butts and brisket for 6-12 hours. I'd check my thermometers too. Butts can take really high heat like 350 but best to wrap. Brisket I wouldn't take much over 300 and they'll cook in 6-8 hours.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

I'm not trying to be a smart a$$, but eventually you will figure out a method that works for you and will make your brisket times more predictable. In the meantime the best advice until you fine tune the pit-to-plate timeline, finish briskets early and learn how to hold them safely. If you nail down your pork butt times first, they are excellent either sliced or pulled.

In the meantime, when you need to serve barbecue within a 30 or 45 minute time frame, choose something predictable. Things like a pork loin, beef tenderloin, boneless prime rib roast, pork back ribs or pork belly ribs.

It's also good to combine some grilled things with barbecued things. Sausages, chicken wings or thighs are all well liked and almost cook themselves.

I can safely say I'm pretty good at cooking BBQ... what i am not good at.. is timing cooks so i just don't worry about it.. HAHAH.. I don't have people over to cook for anymore anyways so i'm never on a time limit.. If someone wants me to cook for them so they can take it somewhere.. I often choose to cook the day before they want it.. and they can reheat it..

I learned years ago that it is a heck of a lot easier to hold bbq for hours ahead of meal time than it is to rush bbq that is hours late for meal time. Thus plan your schedule with plenty of padding. Worst case scenario you get to sit around relaxing with a beer and company while your meat relaxes in a cooler. That is a lot easier to deal with then facing a lot of diners with low blood sugar and your meat still showing 15 degrees to go.

Meat can be unpredictable and there is no reward for hitting the cook completion exactly as people sit at the table - so give yourself a lot of wiggle room.

For a brisket and butts I plan to start four hours before I think I need to. I hate worrying about whether or not it will be done and holding is both easy and beneficial.

Holding is critical.

I have 2 large foam boxes with lids that were used for long distance ice cream transport. Holding a brisket, chucky or butt in this wrapped in foil and then wrapped in an old towel works a treat. I've had people over for a smoked brisket and they are wondering where the food is coming from. Then I lift the lid on the cooler and it's dinner time. No waiting. Perfect temperature. Smoker is all cleaned up before dinner / beers etc.

I ended up holding the brisket in my cooler with my food warming pillows for 6 hours and it was still hot when we had dinner and it was by far the best brisket I have ever had, so what I thought might be a disaster turned out great and everyone loved it.

I am going to check my thermometers again, but think they are dialed in, I think this brisket wasn't stubborn like the last one that took 17 hours.

I adjust cook time by adjusting temps. When I'm running behind I kick up the temps. If I'm way ahead of schedule I reduce temps. Can't remember the last time I had butts or brisket go over 8 hours max.

Get a Turkey roaster and you can hold butts and brisket for 6-12 hours. I'd check my thermometers too. Butts can take really high heat like 350 but best to wrap. Brisket I wouldn't take much over 300 and they'll cook in 6-8 hours.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

this for sure.

build a hot hold into your cooks. food will be done before anyone arrives for dinner and you'll have less stress a.d more time to hang out.

timing is one of the more important factors in Q. doesn't matter how good it is if the guest had to go get a pizza before it's done

I learned the hard way.Get em ready early and hold em.My Dad always wanted me to cook for his trail rides.He would invite 60-75 people.I would ask what time do you want it served? 6 P.M.he would say. The ride would end at 4:30 or 5 and he would be asking when will it be ready? We are hungry. I always had plates of sausage and cheese and crackers to tide them over but he wanted the meal ready when he was ready to eat.I learned real quick to get it ready and hold it.Good luck.A long rest is the Best thing you can do to brisket and butts.

@ smoke ninja or others that hold in a turkey roaster. Do you put any water in for humidity?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

@ smoke ninja or others that hold in a turkey roaster. Do you put any water in for humidity?

I do not. there seems to be a lot of humidity in there already. when you take the lid off it is dripping with condensation. I see no harm in it tho

• Thanks
Reactions: gtr
I do not. there seems to be a lot of humidity in there already. when you take the lid off it is dripping with condensation. I see no harm in it tho
Great - thanks for the reply. I'll be using mine for a hold tomorrow and shooting to keep just under 150*.

Do you wrap your briskets in foil or butcher paper to finish? If so, just toss them wrapped into the roaster after they cool down on the counter to 150-160. There will be plenty of moisture. I recently did an overnight hold in a roaster and it worked out well, wrapped in BP.

Back