Some Pastrami

Dang fine look sammich. I used be a cook and at one of the places I worked we would take and thinly slice onion and saute it in butter and when it was close to done we would add really thin sliced Granny Smith apples and when they started to soften we would add brown sugar and once it was caramelized we would add sour croute that had been drained. It adds so much flavor to a sammich

Easy to see how this was one of your best sandwiches to date, looks incredibly delicious.

Good thing you got a pool there - easy cleanup after the sammich, esp. since we all now know you don't have to wait 30 minutes after eating!

I could go for one of those sammiches right this second - that looks great Jeanie!

anybody else keep going back and looking at her pix over and over like some kinda food stalker? :oops:

Wait...that's not normal???:laugh::icon_blush:

THAT is a sandwich. Very nice job, and what a deal. When you save twice what you actually pay for it, it makes much more sense to buy it already prepared. Keep'em coming!!

The color looks great! Do you find the store corned beef salty or needing an overnight water soak before smoking?

Very enticing set of pics.

What ingredients did you use to get it from store-bought corned to pastrami? How long was the smoke/braise?

Thanks for the kind comments everyone! I hope to make one of these again in the near future. :-D

Outstanding, matter of fact they look good enough for a blog. One question, did it make a big difference not soaking the brine out for 24hrs?
Thank you Gordon! I never soak corned beef, store bought or homemade. I smoke them, then add seasonings and beef stock to "steam" them til tender.

Looks great Jeanie, sammy like that would hit the spot for sure. Have to tackle it head down elbows up. :wink:

:laugh: I'm going to try that. Thanks Kevin! :-D

Lookin' very good. :thumb:

I've followed your posts about smoking fish and then canning it... but have you ever canned corned beef or flavor smoked corned beef? It's a handy product to have on the shelf. The raw pack works great and with a little trimming the amount of fat is surprising low.
Thanks!
Yes! I can corned beef and pastrami. It's great to have on the shelf for quick meals, sandwiches and hash.

63wORUZ.jpg

oRyzmHa.jpg

ntwDIuz.jpg

AS ALWAYS Jeanie......you make food prep an ART.....guess I know what one meal this week will be!!!!!!! What “seasonings” are preferred on corned beef?

Thanks so much Keith!
I use a mixture of allspice, garlic, crushed bay leaves, crushed juniper berries, onion powder, black pepper and mustard seeds.... I use about a tsp of each, and 1 clove of the garlic minced. You can add more if needed.
Hope you have a great weekend Keith!

4d4LiZr.jpg

Good thing you got a pool there - easy cleanup after the sammich, esp. since we all now know you don't have to wait 30 minutes after eating!

I could go for one of those sammiches right this second - that looks great Jeanie!

anybody else keep going back and looking at her pix over and over like some kinda food stalker? :oops:

:laugh: Thanks Greg! That pool comes in handy.
lol Thanks for looking at my food pics too. :becky:

Dang fine look sammich. I used be a cook and at one of the places I worked we would take and thinly slice onion and saute it in butter and when it was close to done we would add really thin sliced Granny Smith apples and when they started to soften we would add brown sugar and once it was caramelized we would add sour croute that had been drained. It adds so much flavor to a sammich

That sounds delicious!! Thank you!

Wow!! Killer and delicious post like ever Neighbor.

Thanks Neighbor! :-D

The color looks great! Do you find the store corned beef salty or needing an overnight water soak before smoking?

Thanks! I didn't find it too salty for me. I don't soak store bought or homemade corned beef before smoking.

Very enticing set of pics.

What ingredients did you use to get it from store-bought corned to pastrami? How long was the smoke/braise?

Thanks! After corning, I smoke the meat uncovered, then add beef stock,
a mixture of allspice, garlic, crushed bay leaves, crushed juniper berries, onion powder, black pepper and mustard seeds.... I use about a tsp of each, and minced garlic. I let it steam til tender..

That's a mighty fine sammich, Lady J!

Thanks Chris! :-D

Thanks again everyone!

Back