Some amazing tri-tips

I have been searching local grocery stores and costco, looking for tri-tip with no luck.

Then I remembered there is a meat market/butcher shop in the next town over. I looked on their website, and they have tri-tip. That might be something to try also. Check with a local meat market or butcher shop.

I also found this too from Virtual Weber Bullet:
[FONT=Arial,Verdana,Helvetica,sans-serif]Tri-tip also goes by the name "bottom sirloin butt" and "triangle roast", due to its triangular shape. In many parts of the country, your butcher will look at you funny if you ask for tri-tip...they have no idea what you're talking about. Try taking this document titled Cuts From The Bottom Sirloin to your butcher and ask them to order or cut a tri-tip for you.[/FONT]

the link http://www.virtualweberbullet.com/meatcharts_photos/tritip.pdf

I have been searching local grocery stores and costco, looking for tri-tip with no luck.

Then I remembered there is a meat market/butcher shop in the next town over. I looked on their website, and they have tri-tip. That might be something to try also. Check with a local meat market or butcher shop.

I also found this too from Virtual Weber Bullet:

the link http://www.virtualweberbullet.com/meatcharts_photos/tritip.pdf

I am going to explore UW Provisions tomorrow. I've already asked all my local butchers. Only got a call back from one, and he wanted $9 a pound. No thanks.

Dillo Dust? Fellow ARFcom'r? Or Laruminati??? I am Pack Larue #142!!!

I am going to explore UW Provisions tomorrow. I've already asked all my local butchers. Only got a call back from one, and he wanted $9 a pound. No thanks.

Dillo Dust? Fellow ARFcom'r? Or Laruminati??? I am Pack Larue #142!!!

Arfcom (Panther1911) and Pack LaRue #293 I was wondering how long it would take finding another arfcommer using this name, lol. Its even cooler that I found a fellow pack member!!

I started a thread in team forum about smokers. "School me on smokers....." It should be on the first 1 or 2 pages.

Unique1.

Team Ranstad.

Small world.

ETA. Check your thread. I was like post'r #5 or 6. And was glad to see you get your WSM. I've helped about a dozen of WI HTF guys buy smokers in the last year. Kinda cool.

Harbormaster on here is one of my oldest friends. He is the one who got me into WSM's and a lot of my friends now too. I think he owns 5 or 6 of them now.

I guess we have to get this thread back on track.

Your tri-tip looks amazing. I really am wanting to try one, I just want to build my confidence up a little more. I have a sample pack of Oakridge BBQ Santa Maria I really want to use on it.

MAN....I SOOOOOO want to try tri-tip! I've never had one yet. Haven't had any luck finding one here in central IN either, until last week. Restaurant Depot has them, but you have to buy a whole bag of them! There's about 6 or 7 in a cryobag......about 16-18 lbs total! Wanted to buy it so bad last week but couldn't do it.

I'll have to grab a bag and split 'em up and freeze the rest.

THAT looks DANG PERFECT!!!! Thanks for posting!:thumb:

MAN....I SOOOOOO want to try tri-tip! I've never had one yet. Haven't had any luck finding one here in central IN either, until last week. Restaurant Depot has them, but you have to buy a whole bag of them! There's about 6 or 7 in a cryobag......about 16-18 lbs total! Wanted to buy it so bad last week but couldn't do it.

I'm lucky. My butcher keeps them all the time.

They have great flavor. A properly cooked Tri-Tip is just about perfect for me...

Thank you! What I learned so far about tri-tip cooking is simple. Do not be afraid of it.

Get your meat to room temp. Otherwise the inside will be raw.
Simple spices. Sea salt, pepper, garlic powder.
Cook it fairly quick. 300+ degrees, an hour or so. YMMV
Temp hits 125, pull it off. Wrap in foil and a towel for 10 minutes. Serve
I've used hickory, oak and mesquite. So far hickory is my favorite.

It's my favorite meat to cook. :becky:

Arfcom (Panther1911) and Pack LaRue #293 I was wondering how long it would take finding another arfcommer using this name, lol. Its even cooler that I found a fellow pack member!!

I started a thread in team forum about smokers. "School me on smokers....." It should be on the first 1 or 2 pages.

:becky:

If there is anything left from that big one, it'll make some fine sammies. Slice super thin, toss on fresh bread and enjoy!

I gotta get more paper towels to clean up the drool of my keyboard!

Hi Unique1
I see a lot of silver skin on the side and top of that big tri tip. That silver skin is very tough to chew. It's a little tricky to slice it off but if you do, your tri tip will be much more tender and don't forget to slice it across the obvious grain for tenderness as well. I've cooked over 1000 tri tips and these things I know.

Hi Unique1
I see a lot of silver skin on the side and top of that big tri tip. That silver skin is very tough to chew. It's a little tricky to slice it off but if you do, your tri tip will be much more tender and don't forget to slice it across the obvious grain for tenderness as well. I've cooked over 1000 tri tips and these things I know.

I've seen this concern before, and have to say that I just don't get it, when it's cooked, you won't even notice it. BTW, it's not skin, just a very thin membrane separating the different muscles.

You may as well eat bananas and tofu if you can't get past a bit of properly cooked membrane :)

Personally, I'd never think of trimming the fat cap off of a TT, that is the insulating layer and the flavor provider. I'd trim the fat layer and silver skin (whatever) off after it's cooked. Fat fraidy cats!

*edit* Sierra foothills, I'm thinkin' that's pretty close to Livermore. It all makes sense now :)

Last edited:
Back