THE BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS

Welcome to The BBQ Brethren Community. Register a free account today to become a member and see all our content. Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

It was 1$ off per pound of regular price. It was 1.97$# regular 2.97#

I buy the John Morrell E-Z Cut ones here after Christmas for 50% off.Hard to find the Cure 81's around here.I think I have 4 JM E-Z Cuts in the freezer.Good hams.

Wow that looks fantastic. Can you unpack this a little bit more for me? I assume it was one of those precooked spiral cut hams? The ones I buy come with the packet of powder to make the glaze? Did you use that at all? What IT temp did you take it to or did you pull it by the look of it. It looks like the individual spirals shrunk up and left those gaps. Was it dry around the edges at all? Did you cook it flat side down al the way on that pan?

Wow that looks fantastic. Can you unpack this a little bit more for me? I assume it was one of those precooked spiral cut hams? The ones I buy come with the packet of powder to make the glaze? Did you use that at all? What IT temp did you take it to or did you pull it by the look of it. It looks like the individual spirals shrunk up and left those gaps. Was it dry around the edges at all? Did you cook it flat side down al the way on that pan?

Precooked Hormel Cure 81
Used olive oil and Sucklebusters Hog Waller-none Of included packet
Max temp 148 near top Minimum 137’ish in thick part-Thermapen no probes
Edges were just starting to curl, no drying issues no burn etc
Flat side down in pan whole time, I did spin around a few times
I kept a pretty close watch on it.
Internal firebox SOB recovers heat quickly
You’ll notice the top small part is dark? You’ll also see it in the ziplock bag. It was dark, not burned or bitter and easy to chew with great flavor.

This was cooked in a 24” Tiernan SOB with internal firebox. Small but efficient cooker.

Thank you for the details. Was this the original or the "cherrywood smoked"variety of the Cure 81? You cook it uncovered the whole time?

Precooked Hormel Cure 81
Used olive oil and Sucklebusters Hog Waller-none Of included packet
Max temp 148 near top Minimum 137’ish in thick part-Thermapen no probes
Edges were just starting to curl, no drying issues no burn etc
Flat side down in pan whole time, I did spin around a few times
I kept a pretty close watch on it.
Internal firebox SOB recovers heat quickly
You’ll notice the top small part is dark? You’ll also see it in the ziplock bag. It was dark, not burned or bitter and easy to chew with great flavor.

This was cooked in a 24” Tiernan SOB with internal firebox. Small but efficient cooker.

regular uncovered. I've already dumpstered the package, I don't recall any mention of cherry smoke.

Wow that ham looked really good. Of course, you can never go wrong using that Hog Waller seasoning. That's some good stuff.

When I double-smoke an already smoked/cooked spiral sliced ham, I try to smoke them at a relatively low pit temp of 225-250, and pull at an internal meat temp of 120 to keep it from drying out the edges of the slices. I always place them face down in an aluminum pan before I put them in the WSM. That keeps the slices from unraveling.

If I remember correctly, Brother RonL thinks 120 is too low to pull them, but it has always worked well for me. They are already cooked, and the directions on the ones I get say that you can eat them cold straight out of the pack if you want to. When I took one to an IT of 140, it dried out the edges of the slices.

If I ever smoke one that is already smoked/cooked, but is not spiral sliced, I will probably wait to an IT of 140 to pull. Have not tried that yet.

Back