So I tried the 3-2-1 method and.....

they were over-done.

My wife brought home some country style pork ribs. I was cooking two butts anyway and had room so I through them on too.

Smoker at 275. Ribs cooked for roughly 3 hrs, pulled and wrapped adding a little apple juice, a little brown sugar and a little butter. Back on for a little less than 2 hrs. Unwarpped dusted with rub, back on for less than an hour. They were over done for sure.

Should I have shortened the cook time because I had the smoker at 275*?

Help and info appreciated.
SC
3-2-1 sucks in my option. I like 2-2 or 2-1 a lot better. My ribs were way over done with the 3-2-1 cooking at 225-250.

I've tried the "3-2-1" thing a couple of times just to see what all the hub bub was about, didn't care for it. When you cook meat in foil or a pan that you add liquid to, essentialy you are braising it (or boiling depending on the amount of liquid). For me, and this is personal preference, I like a caramelized layer of sauce and rub. You can't get that in 1 hour out of the foil after the meat has been "boiled". I start saucing about 2 hours in which is plenty of time for a good smoke ring. After that I sauce about every 45 mins to 1 hour until they are done. It can take anywhere from 4 to 7 hours depending on the size of the rack, fat content, how many you are cooking, lots of variables. Learn to cook to tenderness and try not to get hung up on times or even meat temperatures. As mentioned several times here, "it's a guide line".

First time cooking ribs I was glad to have a simple plan. Tried no wrap with perfect comp bite through results, and everyone that ate them wished they were more fall off the bone. After a couple other try's with variations,(time, temp) 3-1/2-1/2 @ 275* seems to be it for me. They fall off the bone not fall apart.

Just a FYI, you can easily get fall off the bone meat with better texture by leaving the foil in the pantry and leaving the cooker closed.

Yep. Wether or not they're falling off the bone depends on how long you cook them. Ain't got nothing to do with the foil. Foils for resting. Some of y'all most go through a ton of aluminum foil. :mrgreen: I don't see how it could be worth the trouble.

How do you know when they are done if the cooker is closed?

The remote thermo .... oooooo yah!

I used to be a fall off the bone guy, but when I started doing a little competing I really felt like the ribs were "better" with a little more firmness to them. Bite through still means very tender IMHO. Like even old fogies with dentures should be able to bite through. (I'd like Deguerre to be able to enjoy my ribs if I ever had the opportunity to make some for him)

Here's some 3-2-1 for you:

https://fbcdn-sphotos-h-a.akamaihd.net/hphotos-ak-prn1/1102514_10200459018939801_1632503611_o.jpg

Cooked at about 205-ish (according to my 4 dollar short-stub Char-grill thermometer) on my UDS on regular Kingson, with a couple of hickory chunks.

Made this morning. Brought in for lunch. I saved this for my supper tonight. Polish coleslaw, mashed potatoes, and baby backs. I'm known as the "rib guy" where I work. There are other people here that bbq (and they make some great Q!). The best compliment I've gotten here was from one of the guys here that's serious about it - he said "These are totally not at all how I would have done these and they're A+."

I effin love my UDS. You guys all rock for introducing me to the UDS, I was gonna waste money trying to BBQ with a couple of flower pots, per the Good Eats guy.

EDIT: I need to resize that thing!

I've tried the "3-2-1" thing a couple of times just to see what all the hub bub was about, didn't care for it. When you cook meat in foil or a pan that you add liquid to, essentialy you are braising it (or boiling depending on the amount of liquid). For me, and this is personal preference, I like a caramelized layer of sauce and rub. You can't get that in 1 hour out of the foil after the meat has been "boiled". I start saucing about 2 hours in which is plenty of time for a good smoke ring. After that I sauce about every 45 mins to 1 hour until they are done. It can take anywhere from 4 to 7 hours depending on the size of the rack, fat content, how many you are cooking, lots of variables. Learn to cook to tenderness and try not to get hung up on times or even meat temperatures. As mentioned several times here, "it's a guide line".

Thanks. Using this method what temp do you run your smoker?

My late father in law used to make great country style ribs. He had no concept of low & slow so he cooked them on a rusty old homemade horizontal barrel cooker. He put the fire at the far end from the exhaust and seared the meat directly over the coals for about 30 minutes, then put them in a foil pan covered with foil and moved it to the exhaust end for two hours. Darn things came out fantastic. I can't duplicate them on my expensive WSM or offset despite many attempts. The old man must have been channeling Myron because he cooked everything in pans. His brisket was lousy and he always sliced it with the grain which made it tougher.

well im just gonna say it ...if im cooking for me and my friends ...fall off the bone ribs rock ...yes i said that ...i dont compete so why do i need to get the perfect bite thru rib ...its all about the taste not about the pull theres about a 15 minute window you have between the difference

+1 In our house we also like them to fall off the bone.

2-1-.5 with baby's here. It's as easy to get bite-off as it is mush. I prefer bite-off but to each his own. They always get eaten it seems.

Back