so i did something to ribs that i have not done in a long time (in case you were wondering, no foil was used in the making of these pictures)

My ribs have never tasted better and people now request my ribs rather than tolerate them. Everybody has their own way. Figure out the way you do ribs best and stick to it. Continue to try to improve but stick to what you do best.

nobody was ever forced to tolerate my ribs sans sauce

bbs.jpg

my daughter loves them

DSC01871.jpg

and my wife loves them so much she even eats them in bed

Padma1235708076_022609RibsBed.jpg

so i'm not really going to find one thing i do good and stick to it because i can make both kinds pretty good. it's more about me learning to cook as much for others as it is me cooking for myself. i need to abandon some of my snobery related to the kinds of ribs i make and the contest driven orthodoxy that's been part of my rib-cooking style for the past few years (considering i really don't cook to often at contests ;-) )

looks great !!!

first the sauce.... then the pellet pooper ??? :biggrin:

no pooper in my future, but i may invest a considerable amount in cornmeal futures. if phil is using cornmeal, can't be too long before the rest of the world catches on :roll:

If you would not mind I also would like to have the road map for yer ribs... They look mighty fine and I would hit that... A few times!

TIA!

here's a post and the thread that went with it for context

http://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/showpost.php?p=589628&postcount

http://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/showthread.php?t=39281&highlight

so i'm not really going to find one thing i do good and stick to it because i can make both kinds pretty good. it's more about me learning to cook as much for others as it is me cooking for myself. i need to abandon some of my snobery related to the kinds of ribs i make and the contest driven orthodoxy that's been part of my rib-cooking style for the past few years (considering i really don't cook to often at contests ;-) )

Well by god do it. Don't talk about it do it!!! DO IT I SAY!!!

Last edited:
i like the dry ribs myself.. The family thinks they like them sauced, whcih I refuse to do, they have been getting glazed ribs for years. So i make at least one dry rack for me, and the rest for whoever im feeding.

My glaze is bbq sauce(usually head country, sometimes blues hog) cut heavily with apple juice(or pineapple or cherry juice), some honey and then add in some matched rub.. usually OpieQ Sweet.(sp). brush it on 3 trimes in the last 45 minutes till it carmelizes.

If you would not mind I also would like to have the road map for yer ribs... They look mighty fine and I would hit that... A few times!

TIA!

The pron posted is not me. But if you want the recipe to the mop sauce I'll be glad to forward to you.

I've been glazing for awhle now and have no plans to go back. For me it makes all the difference in the world.

First off very good looking ribs. I like you for a long time wasn't going to "glaze" my ribs. I used strictly a dry rub and that's it. Well, since I've done some what of a 180.

I stopped using dry rubs altogether. What I do now is make a vinegar based homemade mop sauce that I let sit over night. I smoke my ribs for the first four hours completed "naked" or in other words with NOTHING on them. No rub, no marinade, no mop sauce, NOTHING. The last 10-15 minutes I glaze or "Mop" this sauce religiously over my ribs. The sugars in the sauce caramelizes and "dries" to the slab.

My ribs have never tasted better and people now request my ribs rather than tolerate them. Everybody has their own way. Figure out the way you do ribs best and stick to it. Continue to try to improve but stick to what you do best.

That sounds tasty! I would love to try that! Any chance of you sharing what is in the mop?

1st of all Awesome ribs! 2nd, For a while now I have done both wet and dry everytime I cook ribs. My son prefers dry; my wife, daughter and the neighbor's kid that comes over every time he smells smoke, prefer wet; I just love to cook and feed people so I have never minded doing both. However, I can't imagine any of us turning down those though. Once again, fantastic looking ribs.

didn't I see your kid loving your ribs before?(missed the wife thou,,,)

anyways, nice looking ribs.

good eats!!

Back