Snowpocalypse New Year’s Day comfort food

sudsandswine

Quintessential Chatty Farker
I decided I wanted some pork shank for dinner on New Years Day, which was surprisingly hard to find even at the shops that process their own pigs. I came up empty handed at all my usual haunts, but the last place I tried had some frozen. I took four with me, and a Duroc Boston butt weighing in at 13lbs for $1.99/lb.

Started the day with some eggs Benedict…I cheated and used an egg poaching pan because I’m terrible at it, but I did nail the Hollandaise.

Got the shanks out this morning and seasoned with some Oakridge BBQ Santa Maria. I put them on the Primo running at 275* and some pecan woodchips for smoke.

Getting close to wrapping

I use the drippings from wrapping for gravy, so I put in celery, onion, and carrot to release moisture for a steam/braise effect

Wrapping them for an hour or two

To be continued…

Once the shanks were sufficiently tender I poured off the juice from the foil pack to use for the gravy.

Making gravy isn’t really my forte, or anything involving flour for that matter. But I fumbled through it alright using the drippings and flour for a roux, then added some chicken stock after the roux had darkened, and then a little kitchen bouquet to darken the gravy a bit. It turned out pretty good any you could definitely detect the smokiness from the pork in it.

Shanks ready for plating

Rested on a bed of mashed taters and gravy

A nice Cabernet to go with

Definitely hit the spot for the day, weather, and mood. I’m off to the recliner now :becky:

Last edited:
Oh man, nice job! I just did a couple of those a couple of weeks ago that I found for super cheap, and wish I had done the wrap with veggies for gravy. Great idea! The Mrs ain't so fond of pork hocks, whatever way you try to say it. :roll:

Oh man, nice job! I just did a couple of those a couple of weeks ago that I found for super cheap, and wish I had done the wrap with veggies for gravy. Great idea! The Mrs ain't so fond of pork hocks, whatever way you try to say it. :roll:

They may be my favorite part of the pig to me eat…everything that I wished pulled pork from the shoulder would be flavor wise. Bacon may still edge it out, but it’s close.

This sounds and looks mighty tasty on so many levels...

855-EB7-CD-07-D9-4592-BB4-E-CD308-CA48-E1-E.jpg

Bravo! :thumb:

Thanks! It’s one of my favorite meals, I have a hard time finding pork shank so I don’t have it very often.

It’s one of my favorites too… I’ve never prepared it myself, but get it anytime I see it on a menu. Yours looks like it would slaughter any of the ones I’ve eaten.

Back