Smoky Wintertide Breakfast

King

Full Fledged Farker
Winter hasn't been too harsh lately which is unfortunate...I love to BBQ in inclement conditions. Nevertheless, the winter cold was enough of a challenge for my breakfast I cooked the other day. I made some roasted butternut squash pancakes and a naked fatty, topped with a sunny side up...just what I wanted.

Roasted Butternut Squash Pancakes
Adapted from: saveur.com
2 cups all purpose flour
2 tbsp. sugar
2 tsp. baking powder
½ tsp. baking soda
¾ tsp. cinnamon
⅛ tsp. nutmeg
½ tsp. salt
¾ cup cooked butternut squash (see below)
1 ¼ cup milk
¼ tsp. cider vinegar
2 eggs
½ tsp. vanilla
Canola oil cooking spray

1. Cut the butternut squash lengthwise. Wrap both halves in plastic wrap and cook in the microwave for 8 minutes.
  2. Set up the 2-zone method on the grill.
  3. When the squash is cooled, unwrap the plastic and coat the flesh of the squash with cooking spray.
  4. Place squash on grill using direct heat and with the lid on, vents wide open.
  5. Cook until tender or about 45 minutes.
  6. Scoop out ¾ cup cooked butternut squash and add it to the rest of the ingredients listed.
  7. Use a ladle to pour batter onto a cast iron skillet on medium-low heat.
  8. Makes about 18 pancakes.

While the grill is still going, replenish it with more charcoal. The fattie will be smoked on the grill. Once you place the sausage on, don’t open the lid for the first 45 minutes. You want to let that smoke penetrate the meat.

Naked Fattie
1lb Jimmy Dean Regular Pork Sausage
KC Butt Spice (or your favorite BBQ rub)
Peach wood

1. Remove the packaging from the sausage while keeping the shape intact.
  2. Apply BBQ rub all over the sausage.
  3. Place sausage on grill and cook using indirect heat, add the wood to the coals. Close the lid, the vents are wide open.
  4. When the internal temp of the fattie hits 165 degrees (about an hour), it’s done.
  5. Slice ¼” thickness rounds and serve immediately.

Great lookin' breakfast! I'm loving the butternut squash pancakes!! :hungry:

Back