Smoking Wings

what ever way you choose as real good ideas above, if they are not pull apart tender, put back on and cook em some more. Years ago my mistake was pulled off too soon and they were tough, even though they were throughly cooked..

My favorite is injected with a 50/50 mix of franks red hot/stubb's texas butter, sprinkled with shooter rick's snake bitten chicken, and cooked at 350 until the skin splits.. (probably overdone to many)
My wife loves knawing on the tips, so I leave them on
Brian

Im a huge fan of the flash fry at the end. I dont care what rub or what wood you use, they end up insanely flavorful and have the same mouthfeel of a crispy fried wing

I like wingettes.
I brine them in Good Seasons Italian dressing mix and water for a few hours.
I coat them with olive oil before putting them on.
I generally use one of my OTGs, I like high heat for wings and chicken in general.
I then sauce and serve them up!

wow, thanks guys. There is a lot of good stuff here. My plan is to throw them on my UDS. What type of wood works best with chicken? I was thinking something mild like apple or cherry???

Though not wings I soaked these legs in buttermilk,dry rubbed and smoked for about an hour then breaded and deep fried. Excellent. Fried chix with a touch of smoke. Fried some shoestring taters to go with them too.

I smoke wing drummettes all the time in my Lang. I cover the bottom of a large disposable aluminum pan with a thin layer of oil, dump the wings in, sprinkle with a good dose of rub, roll them around in it, then maybe sprinkle on a little more rub. I then smoke them at 300 or so for about an hour. Next I sauce them with either buffalo sauce or BBQ sauce - then put them back in the smoker for about another 15 minutes.

Everyone in my family loves them.

Here's an old pic:

regular_wings.gif

wow, thanks guys. There is a lot of good stuff here. My plan is to throw them on my UDS. What type of wood works best with chicken? I was thinking something mild like apple or cherry???

I prefer Apple or an Apple/Pecan mix for poultry.

If you are putting sauce on the I would go with oak. If smoke is to be part of the flavor profile, I'd go with apple too.

I have a crew of about 30 coming over to watch FB on Sat and want to impress. Thanks

You have 30 people coming over to watch Facebook? Well, OK....whatever turns you on....:heh:

My favorite way to do wings is real easy.
I just crank the UDS, but whatever cooker you have and want to do them on will work. Just ramp up the temps north of 300. I like to get mine up to close to 400 even. Season the wings with salt, pepper and garlic powder. I like to let them ride on the smoker for about 40 minutes or so, or until they hit about 170 IT. Then, I'll have a charcoal grill screamin hot and grill them off just to crisp the skin and get them some nice color.

They're great just like that, but if you prefer sauce, I just pick up some different varieties of sauce (I like spicy garlic and teryaki) and toss the hot wings in the sauce and serve. I've marinated, tried different seasonings and all, but the great thing about this method is you just season and cook them all the same and then pick out how many you want of each flavor and toss accordingly.

IMG_3165.jpg

IMG_3168.jpg

IMG_3167.jpg

IMG_3169.jpg

You have 30 people coming over to watch Facebook? Well, OK....whatever turns you on....:heh:

I just crank the UDS, but whatever cooker you have and want to do them on will work. Just ramp up the temps north of 300. I like to get mine up to close to 400 even. Season the wings with salt, pepper and garlic powder. I like to let them ride on the smoker for about 40 minutes or so, or until they hit about 170 IT. Then, I'll have a charcoal grill screamin hot and grill them off just to crisp the skin and get them some nice color.

They're great just like that, but if you prefer sauce, I just pick up some different varieties of sauce (I like spicy garlic and teryaki) and toss the hot wings in the sauce and serve. I've marinated, tried different seasonings and all, but the great thing about this method is you just season and cook them all the same and then pick out how many you want of each flavor and toss accordingly.

IMG_3165.jpg

IMG_3168.jpg

IMG_3167.jpg

IMG_3169.jpg

Those look great! You've just inspired my next cook!

I've marinated, tried different seasonings and all, but the great thing about this method is you just season and cook them all the same and then pick out how many you want of each flavor and toss accordingly.

This will be my method this weekend as I'm doing like 15 lbs of wings for a bunch of people coming over to watch the Mayweather fight. Some like their wings plain, some like it hot, and others in-between.

Nice to see that so many others have been spoiled by smoked wings; I seriously dont even like fried wings anymore in bars...Every once in a while, we'll find some good smoked wings out...

I too do all of the rubs/seasonings the same then toss sauces in different batches...that way everybody is happy..plus my BIL loves to act tough on hot stuff so I fire him up with some crazy chili concoction on the regular lol... I just found some Jamaican scotch bonnet sauce that is hella hot..Cant wait to get him with that stuff...

Back